Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have two adolescent pigeons. One I am fairly sure is male, the other I dont know yet. The unknown one is very territorial and food possessive, but other than being a little aggressive, she (he?) has shown no real male behavior.

I think I saw mating behavior today but, since I am new to pigeons, I'm not sure. The definitely male bird (Ralph) was putting his beak over the other pij (Lilly)'s beak. Like a parent feeding their young. But this was done in a fairly aggressive way. Then Ralph started pecking the back of Lilly's head. I thought he was attacking her, it looked really mean, so I chased him away.
Was it a fight? Or mating? Is the head pecking a part of the mating procedure?

Thanks

ps. I KNOW Ralph is about 3 1/2 months old. I dont know how old Lilly is. I thought she was about the same age, but her eyes are much more orange. When I got her she was malnourished, so I may have misjudged her age. (and I have not seen a single egg yet).

·
Registered
46 Posts
the head pecking is called "driving" the male drives the female until she lays her first egg. this is very normal behavior and should not be stopped. unless you dont want them to be mated. but you will definitly know who is dad and who is mom, dad chases mom and pecks the back of her head.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
If they are only 2 or 3 months old, they are merely playing and trying to act out their roles, as they are learning to interact with one another. You will see them play act the mating game, their place on the hiararchy, with the pecking game, and more.

Once they physically mature, at about 5 to 6 months, you will see some serious business. They really aren't emotionally mature to be parents until they are around a year old.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much! So it can really look that aggressive? That is so odd!
I love my little pigeons more every day. :)
Really, thank you all for making my pigeon life so much more understandable! I dont know what I would do without you guys!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I love my little pigeons more every day. :)
Really, thank you all for making my pigeon life so much more understandable! I dont know what I would do without you guys!
Ditto, people here are very helpful. Only in my case it's a dove not a pidgie :)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Olayak, I really believe that your birds are still a bit too young to know exactly WHAT they are and WHAT they are supposed to do.

Here's a video of two of my birds that I knew for certain were both males......however, THEY didn't know it yet as you can tell..........they were just youngsters.........most pigeons figure out the "birds and bees" thing around 3 1/2 to 4 months of age. Before that, they're mostly just "playing house"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm4Vwhr9yQY

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very cute video!
The problem is that I got the second pij "Lilly" about a month ago. We thought she was about 3 months old, but she was malnourished, so the avian vet and I may have misjudged. Her eyes are getting very orange, while my (definitely) 3 month old pij, Ralph, still has brownish eyes.
I am just concerned that she may be male, and I dont have the space for 2 males! Already they cant share a cage, they end up fighting. We're looking for a larger cage, of course. But we live in an apt with 2 x-large dogs, a cat, and the 2 pigeons!
She is food aggressive, and territorial. But she hasnt done any male mating dance (which Ralph does ALL the time). And she kisses him and lets him peck the back of her head so, fingers crossed, she really is female.

What are typical female characteristics? (Other than being more docile). Have you ever seen an aggressive hen? Do hens also get territorial and coo when you invade their space?

Thank you so much! You guys are life-savers!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Very cute video!
The problem is that I got the second pij "Lilly" about a month ago. We thought she was about 3 months old, but she was malnourished, so the avian vet and I may have misjudged. Her eyes are getting very orange, while my (definitely) 3 month old pij, Ralph, still has brownish eyes.
I am just concerned that she may be male, and I dont have the space for 2 males! Already they cant share a cage, they end up fighting. We're looking for a larger cage, of course. But we live in an apt with 2 x-large dogs, a cat, and the 2 pigeons!
She is food aggressive, and territorial. But she hasnt done any male mating dance (which Ralph does ALL the time). And she kisses him and lets him peck the back of her head so, fingers crossed, she really is female.

What are typical female characteristics? (Other than being more docile). Have you ever seen an aggressive hen? Do hens also get territorial and coo when you invade their space?
Thank you so much! You guys are life-savers!

I just think you've got to give it a little more time. Here's another video of one of my hens...........LOL...it should answer the question above. MOST of them aren't like this, but SOME are........she's 2 years old in the video and I KNOW she's a she......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ploh1_JxRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCfTMrGpR0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1_o9wMLvCk ( in this video, she's only about 5 months old. I THOUGHT she was a he at that time...LOL)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: They were just making out for about 5 minutes straight. She puts her beak in his mouth and he vomits a little into hers. :p
She appears to be a little older, and she seemed a little more into it, but I may acutally have a pair! :)
(yes, I know they are still too young - but I need this little glimmer of hope! lol)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Update: They were just making out for about 5 minutes straight. She puts her beak in his mouth and he vomits a little into hers. :p
She appears to be a little older, and she seemed a little more into it, but I may acutally have a pair! :)
(yes, I know they are still too young - but I need this little glimmer of hope! lol)
You just might have a pair........I hope so.:D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
She appears to be a little older, and she seemed a little more into it, but I may acutally have a pair!
Sounds like a pair to me....:D. I'm sure the older hen will teach the young fella the ropes to this whole mating thing!:eek::D;)lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol. Thanks Guys! He's A Pretty Macho Bird Himself - Started The Mating Dance At 2 Months. Lol. Guess He Likes Older Women, Tho! :)

Btw - That Sleepy Is So Pretty! And Such A Character! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts