Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a pair of homers who have a 5 week old chick about ready to be weaned. My coop is small, its 2X2X2 - just big enough for my breeding pair w/attached Aviary.

I have two questions.

1) Do I have to separate the young bird from the parents or can I leave him in the same coop for a while until I finish building a larger coop?

He is the only other bird and I am not sure if it is healthy for him to be alone or with company.

This question has nothing to do with my previous question; I plan to move soon and have not built a serious coop or collected a large number of birds yet because I knew I was moving.

2) Question is; is it possible to move my pair and the young bird to where I plan to live for an extended time and will they re-imprint to the new location?

If not, I feel terrible knowing that the only way to keep the birds is to have them cooped forever and not let them do what they love to do.

ANY HELP AND ADVISE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hi everyone. I have a pair of homers who have a 5 week old chick about ready to be weaned. My coop is small, its 2X2X2 - just big enough for my breeding pair w/attached Aviary.

I have two questions.

1) Do I have to separate the young bird from the parents or can I leave him in the same coop for a while until I finish building a larger coop?

He is the only other bird and I am not sure if it is healthy for him to be alone or with company.

This question has nothing to do with my previous question; I plan to move soon and have not built a serious coop or collected a large number of birds yet because I knew I was moving.

2) Question is; is it possible to move my pair and the young bird to where I plan to live for an extended time and will they re-imprint to the new location?

If not, I feel terrible knowing that the only way to keep the birds is to have them cooped forever and not let them do what they love to do.

sounds like you put the wagon before the horse.

They possibley can reimprint..but you take a chance of them not and losing them..unless you can go back and get them, which would be a hassle.

the cage you have for a pair is not wise to let them have babies in such a setup if you do not have room. the baby will be eventually picked on by the cock bird when he gets of age. but..I have had some young birds hang with their parents for a long time after weaning because the cock was a nice one..but it just depends on your birds..most cocks don't want another bird with his hen.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Well it is - what it is... Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone else have any input?
If it is what it is, then why do you need input?...lol..

The young bird if moved after weaning but before say 40 days old trained to the new place would call it home..the adults may not..they don't call them homers for nothing. so either you try it and possibley lose the birds or do not try it and keep them up and build a large aviary for them.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If it is what it is, then why do you need input?...lol..
I am thinking that pudge23869 was looking for some advise/input in a non condescending way. It might be more beneficial to give pointers on how to increase the loft size temporarily in this situation than to tell pudge that he/she but the wagon before the horse.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I am thinking that pudge23869 was looking for some advise/input in a non condescending way. It might be more beneficial to give pointers on how to increase the loft size temporarily in this situation than to tell pudge that he/she but the wagon before the horse.

incease cage that would be just common sense which seems to be lacking. even if the cage is bigger they are still too close quarters for a breeding pair and a single bird which would get beat up esp a young one.

breeding in 2x2 cage and then wondering what to do after the fact was the first mistake and noting it is not out of line IMO, the words are the same sort of thing my Father would of said to me and it was not given condescendingly, but in a caring way but text does not relate that and Im not in the mood to defend it so think what you will. The advice about the homing pigeons is what it is...just like his situation that HE created.. but it can be handled the right way if he is up for it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads up, it may just be reason enough to get building on a larger coop.

Now, Spirit Wings your all knowing'ness - the story goes as follows.

I received two youg birds last year from a friend of mine who has homers, I built a nice 2X2 coop with a 3X4X3 Aviary attached in the front. This past October I brought the birds for a 10 mile toss and only one returned. November, December, January came and went and then the only snow storm of our winter came in mid February. The same morning the snow fell my long lost bird was sitting on the top of my coop looking for a familiar place to hang. I called him in with some food, trapped him and kept him locked up for 3 weeks. He ended up being a Cock and the one that never left was the Hen. A few weeks later I found them nesting and now I have to consider more space. The parents do not seem to be making much of a fuss right now, but I found the Hen nesting again already.

I will build a 4X4 loft to separate the young birds once they hatch. I will keep my breeding pair in the same small coop they are used to until I move. It sucks but hopefuly I can build a large coop and fly pen for the birds at my new location. I would hate to have to give up the birds after such a romantic tale.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts

I have two questions.

I think many people have seen young birds scalped and that could happen, but in my breeding loft many young birds are moving around with the old breeders with no ill effects. Many people use rabbit type cages for their breeders and later move them to a bigger loft after the breeding season is over. Two great pigeon men I have read about had very small lofts to start with, Jim Jenner is one and the other was Wendel Levi who had old wood pop crates nailed to a fence for a loft when he first started. Jim's first loft was 2x6 by 2 high on saw horses for legs and he was a very competitive racer.

You can move the pair and resettle them but you always take the chance that they will not like their new home .The best way to try is only let one bird out at a time and only if they have young in a nest, but its still a gamble. On the up side pigeons like yours could be very happy as a breeding pair in a new loft with a nice aviary . They will become quite tame and bond with you better than race birds do.
As far as the youngster if you don't let him out side now and move soon he could imprint on your new home.

I hope this helps and good luck with your birds and don't feel bad for the birds if you give them a new loft and good care they will live long and safe lives.

·
Registered
803 Posts
NO need for all the drama as the parents arent going to Scalp their own offspring and they will tolerate them til they are more mature and want to start mating on their own. The more room the better its true but theres no reason to start throwing horse carts around already when all you have to do is enlarge your loft by adding onto it which is surely and easy cure for 4 pigeons .. and just to clerify you can use dummy eggs to keep them from hatching out any more babys that you dont need and keep from crowding the loft that you already have ..easy peasy :eek:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
no drama here brother or sister ,pigeon villa, just trying to help out a pigeon keeper just starting out.The other posts might have some drama in it but I said could happen , I was trying to be nice as someone elsa that was being other than nice !

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, it may just be reason enough to get building on a larger coop.

Now, Spirit Wings your all knowing'ness - the story goes as follows.

I received two youg birds last year from a friend of mine who has homers, I built a nice 2X2 coop with a 3X4X3 Aviary attached in the front. This past October I brought the birds for a 10 mile toss and only one returned. November, December, January came and went and then the only snow storm of our winter came in mid February. The same morning the snow fell my long lost bird was sitting on the top of my coop looking for a familiar place to hang. I called him in with some food, trapped him and kept him locked up for 3 weeks. He ended up being a Cock and the one that never left was the Hen. A few weeks later I found them nesting and now I have to consider more space. The parents do not seem to be making much of a fuss right now, but I found the Hen nesting again already.

I will build a 4X4 loft to separate the young birds once they hatch. I will keep my breeding pair in the same small coop they are used to until I move. It sucks but hopefuly I can build a large coop and fly pen for the birds at my new location. I would hate to have to give up the birds after such a romantic tale.

Thanks...

Im far from "all knowing'ness", but close enough not to let eggs hatch when Im not ready or have room for the young.. it takes 19 days for them to hatch and then another month for weaning so you have had plenty of time to think on what to do...you building the 4x4 sounds great!! just wondering why you did not mention that before?... good luck with your move and pigeons.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I am indeed just starting out and do not have aspirations of being a world class racer I just want to make sure my birds don't end up hating my loft and decide to not come home one day. I definitely need to build something bigger - just not sure when. Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts