Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone Little problem here.
Found an adult pigeon who has PMV ( twisted neck, walking in circles, puffed feathers). My pigeon is drinking water but not eating anything. neither bread nor seeds. Its been almost 36 hours and it has not eaten.
Need your help.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Niharika,

Can you tell us where you are?

What you can do for him is defrost some peas and corn in boiling water and feed him one kernel or one pea at time, see that he gets 100 peas/kernels a day. John_D nursed three pigeons through PMV at one time using this method.

This video shows how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried feeding him with corn....It is not letting me put it in his mouth.
It is shaking his head and throwing away the corn.
What should I do??

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
You have to push it gently to the back of the throat, once it has gone past the "beak" bit he will swallow.

What part of India are you in?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Niharika,
PMV usually takes 4~6 weeks. After that pigeon will recover fully or partly. In any case you cannot release him as in the time of stress, symptoms reappear. He will not survive outside. Keep him as a pet.
Feeding and water are essential for his recovery in the mean time. Vitamins, probiotics and calcium supplements will speed up recovery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My pij also has a wound in chest...
It bleeds sometimes wen he crashes on the floor trying to balance himself. Probably the wound was there since the start. how should i help him?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Clear wound with saline solution and apply antibiotic cream on it. Do not let him fly an crash on the rfloor. Keep him in the quiet place with water and seeds nearby.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello everyone...
Can anybody tell me if it's ok to give my piji medicines like 'Optineuron' and 'Evion 600'.
And how will these help him?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hello everyone...
Can anybody tell me if it's ok to give my piji medicines like 'Optineuron' and 'Evion 600'.
And how will these help him?

While the vitamins in these mentioned pills may be useful in maintaining health in pigeons the tablets you mentioned are human amounts and if you give them to your bird you will certainly overdose them. The Evion 600 has 600mg of Vitamin E in it and I can find a recommendation of 40mg/KG for vitamin E, so for a 300gm bird this would be 12mg or 1/50th of an Evion 600.

For the Optineuron, it has a number of B vitamins at human dosage and I have compared it to multi B vitamins recommended for pigeons and 1/50th of an amount of a Optineuron would be safe.

Karyn

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I've got to say it...there are many reasons/conditions and illnesses for neurological symptoms in a pigeon besides PMV and while this may indeed be PMV, it's terrible unfair not to explore the others.
Is there a place where you can take the bird to be evaluated and have a fecal float done?

http://www.jstor.org/pss/30135015

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is the bird drinking? Because if not, then you need to get him to drink. Don't leave a large dish of water with him because he could drown. Needs to be a smaller dish. And yes, the bird should be checked by a vet, just to be sure what is going on. At least have the poops checked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The bird is drinking on its own... It also tries to eat on its own but cannot.
And Charis, there is only one bird hospital in my city where I took the bird. These 2 medicines were suggested to me.
Its really sad that I wont be able to find out his disease properly. I am doing my best.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Its really sad that I wont be able to find out his disease properly. I am doing my best.
Of course you are, you have been wonderful with this bird, without you it would have been dead a couple of month ago!

You said that it tries to eat but can't. Can you let us know what happens?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Are you still feeding the bird corn or have you tried wheat/brown rice/ etc. ?

Your post was dated November '09 so now its 3 months, has the bird improved its health with the medications ? Hope the wound on the chest has been cured.

Cheer up :) You are doing a good job and there are lots of kind hearted people here on PigeonTalk to help you :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It tries to pick up the seeds that i feed him. But most of the times is unable to take it down his throat. Shakes his head and throws it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello sreeshs.
I'm feeding the bird with both corn and 'bajra'. The wound on the chest has improved a lot but the bird cannot fly.
Its really nice to talk to animal lovers like myself...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts