Pigeon-Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few odd thoughts rolling around in my brain, on a day when I'd rather not be working.

At the moment two of (I should say, my two!) pairs have decided it's egg time. I don't know if it was that stretch of warm weather (Lord knows I got spring fever), but there it is. The other pairs - hen pairs - and of course the singles, are all bubbling over with excitement and aren't sure why. Everyone wants to build a nest, even the youngsters who aren't sure what a nest is!

Over the weekend I added some roosting cubbies and a couple new mini-nest boxes for the hens. You know how everybody has their 'spot,' well, it had me laughing this morning because changes in the value of the real estate prompted a lot of relocating. They must have spent yesterday afternoon playing musical perches. It does help you to see who has the clout.

While I was down there cleaning and cobbling together the new seating arrangement, I was watching one young male bird (Walter) selecting bits of straw and grass for his mate, and really getting a kick out of it. My male roller was on his eggs so I decided just to see what he'd do if I offered him a choice bit of nest material. I never saw such a look on a bird's face. He sat like a stone staring at me for a full 30 seconds - a long time when the seconds are just ticking away - before very slowly & tentatively drawing the straw over and working it into his nest. I am just not sure what overtures he thought I was making! After that, I was very careful to keep my head and hand out of view and just tipped bits through the front of his nest box. Into the nest went grass, raffia, pine needles; all of it, and he never really seemed to question or grow curious about where all this bounty was coming from. If it had been his mate, Mookie Mama, she'd have come right out onto the porch to see what was going on and run the hooligans out of her yard!

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Fun post to read. With your descriptions, I could see it all.
Maybe I should change careers and go into selling nesting boxes!:D

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
All that excitement must have really been something to see :)

They take their nest building so seriously, and what a variety of styles they have, from hi-rise to long and low and everything in between. Ours use tobacco stems, but some like to add something extra with discarded feathers or leafy sprigs from trimming the hedge which protrudes through the aviary wire on one side.

Just like you say, even young pigeons that don't even know what a nest is will join in. I was watching a squeaker picking up twigs when I chucked a bundle down for them. He was watching the others and musta decided he had to pick up twigs too.

Never forget one time when one of our elder pigeons climbed up the wire and stared at us until we 'twigged' what he wanted - nest material. The best sign now is when they start stealing material from each other!

One lone hen likes to have a nest, but is just not so good at it. However, she places twigs very solemnly when I bring her some and hand them to her :)

John

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
This is funny! The little finch that just moved right into my house, then chose to live in the cage with my diamond dove, has made herself one plush nest in her basket. She is sitting on the warmest, softest looking nest of white feathers that I have ever seen.

The only problem is my diamond dove is bare to the bone in a sq. inch patch on her back. The two are great friends, but how that little dickens talked the dove out of those feathers is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
LOL!! Maybe she did it with the "Hey! Look! Over there!!" technique ;)

John_D, that's it exactly - "I guess i should pick these up too" and solemnity is the precise emotion involved.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I enjoy nothing more than watching them building their nests.
This is a fun thread.

Reti

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I can just picture it. . .great description! Feather, what a cute story, I can picture them too. :p Diamond doves are so cute, I love their little high pitched coos. They're very comical and sweet.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
This is a smiley thread.:) You can't help but smile when reading it. Nest building is a serious event and they are so happy with whatever bits and pieces they find. My guys are doing the same. I can watch them for hours.

Margaret

·
Banned
6,379 Posts
Hello,

Birds, all birds and pigeons are enigmas. "Most" people would never think twice about what goes on in a birds' head, but there is a LOT going on in there!

I personally believe that all animals have their own smarts and they know better than the humans that care for them, what they're doing.

It takes years for us to learn and understand the basics, but in the long run, they will always know more than we do.

Observations like this, are what lead to genuine scientific strides and progress in our understanding of the various animals on our planet.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Hello,

Birds, all birds and pigeons are enigmas. "Most" people would never think twice about what goes on in a birds' head, but there is a LOT going on in there!

I personally believe that all animals have their own smarts and they know better than the humans that care for them, what they're doing.

It takes years for us to learn and understand the basics, but in the long run, they will always know more than we do.

Observations like this, are what lead to genuine scientific strides and progress in our understanding of the various animals on our planet.

Brad,

I have to agree with you 100%. Birds and animals have abilities to sense and do things that we haven't a clue about. I believe their thought processes are much much more complicated than just blind instinct. I also think we humans used to have abilities such as sharper vision and smell than we do now, but we lost it along the way. Some of it we can develop, what some people call it ESP, but there is nothing extra about it, everyone has it, only undeveloped.

Margaret

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello,

So true, and I always feel like such an outsider, when I'm observing them. An interloper spying on their lives. They are about the very busy business of being pigeons, and I am utterly ignorant when it comes to comprehending what that means. :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ahhhh, the nesting season.....

Hello, and I must agree with you too, the birds are masters at nest-building, aren't they? I do marvel at them. They are so persistent, too. Thanks Snipes, for the enjoyable chuckle!!! :D Snowbird Sue

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a nice quote, I used to have it in a sig file:

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before"
-Robert Lynd

SO TRUE!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
A great way to de-stress is to spend some time handing birds nesting material. The two Old German Owl hens will happily accept and install numerous twigs handed to them but anytime they are on the nest. In fact, I've used that as a good will gesture after giving meds. :)

As long as they are not in courtship phase, all three males (two OGO and a king) will gently take an offered twig, pad back to the nest to drop it off, and pad back down the shelf for another. The owls will also take nest material handed to them out in the flight pen. Walter (king) will do that maybe twice, then stand on his balcony waiting for the hand out. "Why should I fly out when you could hand it to me right here and save me the effort?!" ...and so I do. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.