Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are measures to be taken for avoiding cold and humidity in the loft of the pigeon? if pigeons are catching cold what are the symptoms and what medicine should be administered and for how many days?

·
Registered
288 Posts
cold

hello mkdas i think keeping the loft dry and avoiding draft inthe loft,one of the symtoms is scratching their heads and sneezing,as far as medication im using doxyvet but there are other good ones out there.maybe someone else can help you more.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you can order meds if your here in the US from pigeon supply sites.. google pigeon supply, there will be a few to choose from, and they have a list of meds for one eye colds and respitory.. the things you want to avoid in the loft are drafts, wet, and dust... sometimes if they have a cold there is not a med that cures that if it is viral like with people..but sometimes they can get secondary bacterial infections..so you would have to see if that is happening and give the right meds.. and follow up after with probiotics..

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
The main thing I do to keep moisture out of the loft is....I keep their drinking water out in the flight cage at all times.
The door to the loft is always open to the flight cage, so they have access to it.
For the winter, when its around 0 - 20 degrees, I enclose the flight cage with clear heavy plastic. I have a 'roll up' piece of plastic on the entrance door to the flight cage, and 1 'roll up window' cut out, open them every day and close them up at night. I have to do that because it faces southeast, gets sun all day, and its like a 'greenhouse' in there with the plastic.
The loft itself is always dry, and that's where I feed them.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well he said a cold.. so Im thinking one eye cold... as said here....

"One-eyed colds are usually associated with a peck in the eye or some other type of physical injury affecting the eye. They are also often confused with the onset of mycoplasmosis.

The symptom of a one-eyed cold most commonly noticed is a watery or mucousy discharge in only one eye. But occasionally both eyes will have a watery appearance. Sometimes one eye can become completely shut depending upon the degree of infection.

To prevent one-eyed colds, maintain proper ventilation and do not allow overcrowded conditions. Keeping dust levels in the loft to a minimum is considered good loft hygiene, because many types of infectious bacteria are carried by dust particles."

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If you are seeing bad droppings and they are acting ill, then you want to use a broad spectrum antibiotic, one that covers cocci..and use for how many days it says and do not skip days.. then keep the loft floor clean and dry, follow up with probiotics and vitamins... if you still have problems then get fecal checks done on the bad looking droppings.. getting the sample in the am and keep it in the fridge and then get it to the vet asap..so they can check it.. then if something shows up, you will know what to treat for..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts