Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does medicam ( meloxicam ) cause loss of appetite in pigeons? My bird has very painful inflamed feet and the vet prescribed lasix and meloxicam. He improved after the injections of those on Monday, but seems to be getting worse again. Trouble is, he is just now starting to get his appetite back after the massive doses of diuretics. l hesitate to give him anything that would set his eating back. l can easily force feed him, but l want his quality of life to be good and he hates being force fed ( who wouldn't ) . Have any of you noticed that meloxicam ( medicam ) made your birds stop eating ?? He is happy, perky and very vocal and l really want his life to be comfortable , for whatever time he has left. He has no health problems except for arthritis and painful feet.
Bird Beak Rock dove Feather Stock dove

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I once asked a vet for medicam for one of my pigeons, but he refused to give me. Apparently it's very harsh on their kidneys. Although I've seen on the Palomacy FB site it gets prescribed for pigeons. Maybe there's something alternative you can use?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hi, both here in France and Italy metacam (meloxicam) is used by vets for birds. Only when needed, of course.

The vet gave me metacam 0,5mg/ml for cats and guinea pigs.

Personally I have never seen side effects like loss of appetite or others but I don't know if metacam is a good option for "senior" birds.
I had a cat, Kira. When she became a "senior" and had some problems with her legs the vet gave me a homeopathic treatment: arnica.
I have never used it for pigeons but I read that it can be used even for them. Give a look at this old thread (they mention even rheumatic/arthritic joints), you could maybe talk to your vet about that different opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, both here in France and Italy metacam (meloxicam) is used by vets for birds. Only when needed, of course.

The vet gave me metacam 0,5mg/ml for cats and guinea pigs.

Personally I have never seen side effects like loss of appetite or others but I don't know if metacam is a good option for "senior" birds.
I had a cat, Kira. When she became a "senior" and had some problems with her legs the vet gave me a homeopathic treatment: arnica.
I have never used it for pigeons but I read that it can be used even for them. Give a look at this old thread (they mention even rheumatic/arthritic joints), you could maybe talk to your vet about that different opinion.

Thank you for this link ! And for actually posting something hopeful and positive. Other people just berated me and criticized what l was doing to help him. They seemed to ignore the fact that l got him to 19 1/2 years old , with nary an illness. His feet are a problem , for sure, but other than that , he is boisterous, happy and very vocal. He is under a vet's care too, but l am trying to balance the side effects of loss of appetite with the needed anti-inflammatory effect. We are trying different things, one at a time to try to improve his poor feet, while not negatively affecting his quality of life. l only force fed him for 2 days, when he was sick from the antibiotics, diuretic and meloxicam .He got a hefty dose fo the latter 2 on Monday and wouldn't eat, but by wednesday he was standing to preen vigorously, even standing on one foot several times, which l have not seen him do for years ! So the diuretic DlD relieve a lot of the edema. l am going to try the chammomile tea tonight , and try to find an arnica lotion for his feet. The only problem with that is that l thought it was toxic, and the lotion will get on his breast feathers and he will preen it off and ingest it. This link to the homepathisc thread is so helpful Again, thank you. ( Jonquil thanks you too !

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
No need to thank me!

I know that I go against the tide saying that but I totally understand you.
Life is precious. I always fight hard too.

You could maybe ask for info about arnica in an homeopathic pharmacy other than to your vet.
Chamomile tea is a good remedy, I use it for eyes issue.

Anyway, keep us updated and give a big cuddle to your lovely Jonquil from me ! I hope that you can improve his poor feet!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jonquil turned 20 today ! He is a fighter and still very happy and noisy. His walking got worse again suddenly last week, but we had so many birthday treats today.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JONQUIL 🎁✨🎈🎇🎉!!!!!
Many happy returns!!!

I'm soo glad to hear that he is still very happy and noisy!!!! What a wonderful news!!!

Thanks so much for the update and give him a big cuddle from me and my birds!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts