Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read some fanciers give preventative medications at this time of year to thier ybs. I've also read some of the Champions do not medicate untill a illness is present. They have the philosophy "if it aint broke don't fix it".
Myself I use prebiotics Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic Juice, Lemon Juice, I alternate days of course. But as far as buying the 5 in 1 or the 4 in 1 medication treatments like Foys sells...do you give as a preventative or wait and allowing the birds natural immunity to build up a resistance before giving any medication? Any clarification on this will help.

Essentially what preventative medications if any do other pigeon racers give to keep thier birds in Top Form?

What Vaccinations do people give thier ybs at this time of year?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If that is the case why do people vaccinate at this time of year?
vaccinations are different than antibiotics..in general... vaccs hold immunities for a time against Diseases.. overuse of anitbiotics can weaken effects if over used. and should NOT be used as a prevenative but as a cure againts a known bactieria.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Also, as a general rule, steer clear of the '4 in 1' meds, dosages are too low to be of any help and then you are just building an environment which will breed resistant bacteria and then when the birds really are sick you will 'be up the creek without a paddle' as my grandpa would say.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vaccinations are different than antibiotics..in general... vaccs hold immunities for a time against dieseases... overuse of anitbiotics can weaken effects if over used. and should NOT be used as a prevenative but as a cure againts a known bactieria.
Thank You...I was getting confused looking at the all the medications in the supply house catalogs..
Seems I should ask what Vaccinations do people give thier ybs?

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
There are vaccines from Foys, Siegels, etc. available against Paramyxovirus, Pigeon Pox and Paratyphoid.

John

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There are vaccines from Foys, Siegels, etc. available against Paramyxovirus, Pigeon Pox and Paratyphoid.

John
Are these the "main" diseases people are vaccinating thier pigeons for? Basically are these the big 3 that the birds need to be annually vaccinated against or is their more I should be concerned about?

I just read a sticky thread that also addresses this question.. Thank you

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do not medicate your YB’s. Only medicate the one or two that are sick. You want them to build their immune systems at a young age.

L

·
0 Posts
Are these the "main" diseases people are vaccinating thier pigeons for? Basically are these the big 3 that the birds need to be annually vaccinated against or is their more I should be concerned about?

I just read a sticky thread that also addresses this question.. Thank you
yes those are the main ones you want to get taken care of so they are covered when you start racing your birds because they will come in contact with other birds during the basketing of when racing your birds happens and you dont want them bring those illnesses home with them to your loft ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts