Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Avain vet did a float test on dropings. Parasites. Gave me 2 doeses of Panacur for one of my hens. She told me it was OK to treat the whole loft with 2 rounds of meds but her prices were high and said that I could get it online cheaper. Does Foys carry Panacur or an equivilent?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi Randy,

Did the vet say exactly what kind of parasites?

Some on the forum, and I include myself in this group, shy away from the use of Panacur. There have been fatal instances of birds being overdosed with this med, as it does not have a very wide margin in the amount of this drug needed for therapeutic dosing and toxic dosing.

My first choice when it comes to treating for worms is Pyrantel pamoate, a trade name for this drug is Strongid. It has a wide margin of safety and I find it to be very effective. I also have on hand Ivermectin 1%, for a bird weighing between 300-350 grams, two drops down the throat has also been effective for me.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Karyn

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. Do you know who carries it online?
My avian vet works with the birds at the Atlanta Zoo. She's also a research scientist at UGA's medical nutrician department. I trust her. I brought up the dosing question with her and she smiled and said that's why doctors should dispence medicine. LOL. She gave Paracur only after weighing my hen. She said givin in the wrong dose, even water will kill you. :).. She gave me a weight/dose chart for Paracur but was very open to me calling her with advice on dosing of other "online" drugs.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Neither Foy's nor Siegel's carries Panacur (Febendazole) that I can find. However, ask your vet if Moxidectin Plus might be an acceptable substitute.

Moxidectin Plus - This wormer has all of the benefits of Moxidectin along with the added ingredient of praziquantel for tapeworm control, making this the best all-round wormer for pigeons. Developed by Dr. Colin Walker, "The Flying Vet." (Australian Pigeon Company)
http://www.siegelpigeons.com/catalog-worms.html

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
She didn't tell you what kind of parasites? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume some kind of worms. But coccidia is pretty common too.

All the online pigeon suppliers have many varieties of wormers and medications for parasites internal and external. Right now I'm worming mine with Wazine. I like Ivermectin because it kills a lot of stuff, but it's pretty expensive when you have a lot of birds.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Hi Randy,

Did the vet say exactly what kind of parasites?

Some on the forum, and I include myself in this group, shy away from the use of Panacur. There have been fatal instances of birds being overdosed with this med, as it does not have a very wide margin in the amount of this drug needed for therapeutic dosing and toxic dosing.

My first choice when it comes to treating for worms is Pyrantel pamoate, a trade name for this drug is Strongid. It has a wide margin of safety and I find it to be very effective. I also have on hand Ivermectin 1%, for a bird weighing between 300-350 grams, two drops down the throat has also been effective for me.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Karyn
I rotate between Pyrantel and Ivomec. I like Pyrantel because of the safety margin. I've had a couple birds (6 out of 80) have adverse reactions to Ivomec in the past (temporary paralysis). My vet said it is rare but it does happen, and usually within a couple hours.
But my question- is there a way to treat the whole flock with Pyrantel instead of individual dosing? I've tried looking this up and can't find any info. :confused:

·
Registered
65 Posts
How about Diatomacious Earth for worming? I've been hearing about it for years as a non-toxic insecticide, and finally got 5lbs this week to try out. It's supposed to be safe to apply to the feed and effective against worms, as well.
Got it from Dirtworks.com .
Bill KU4QB

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Msfreebird, here you go on flock dosing By Dr. Marx. Dosing 75mg per gallon for 1-2 days. The nice thing is this recommended dosing is specifically for pigeons, not adjusting for another type of bird.

http://www.pigeonnetwork.com/vetdirectory/vetusa/DrDavidMarx/medicine.cfm

Randy, in some of the cases I was referring to, one in particular that I remember reading, the Panacur dosing was given out by a vet, but the owner of the bird misread the dosing instructions, giving too much med. With Panacur the result was death, where if the person misread a dose with the pyrantel pamoate, from my reading, because of its large safety margin it would not have been.

Another thing with Panacur is that it comes in a number of strengths, so what might have been a safe dose at one strength. would be toxic at another using the same amount. If a person was thinking I have used Panacur before at this amount, so I will use this same amount again without ensuring it was the same strength a fatal mistake could be made.

I am glad to hear you are right on top of the dosing amount and working with a very experienced vet. If given correctly, again from what I read, Panacur is an effective drug and many people swear by it.

Karyn

·
Registered
857 Posts
Tractor Supply and most feed stores carry Safe-guard (fenbendazole).
They sell a small, 125 ml, bottle for goats.
I use it on puppies and dogs.
A 3 day treatment on dogs kills every kind of parasitic worm including tapeworms.
I have never used it on pigeons.
Keith

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
How about Diatomacious Earth for worming? I've been hearing about it for years as a non-toxic insecticide, and finally got 5lbs this week to try out. It's supposed to be safe to apply to the feed and effective against worms, as well.
Bill KU4QB
Well, it's not really effective once it gets wet, but when it dries, it's okay. Most people just use it in the loft to prevent bugs and help dry out the droppings. Also, putting in your feed helps prevent bugs from getting in and munching on (or contaminating) the feed. I haven't heard of it being used for worming.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Bill KU4QB
I don't see how it would work for worms, as it is only effective when dry. Once the birds eat it, it gets wet. I works around the loft, as when it comes in contact with bugs, it dries them out. Some have had good results with this, some have not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts