Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I need to Order some medications and such. But there are so many could you guys give me a good idea on what to keep on hand and how much. We have 60 birds.

How do you know when they need wormed?
How often do you do it?

Is there something I should treat the flock with?

I don't know if any of this has ever been done and I'm trying to learn as I go. No one around here seems to know anything about pigeons (Pet shops, feed stores, etc.)

Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
6,379 Posts
Hi Shrek,

How about this...You ask all your questions in one thread and instead of leading the members on a wild "goose" chase and expecting them to answer your every question on your beck and call? Sound reasonable?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shrek,

How about this...You ask all your questions in one thread and instead of leading the members on a wild "goose" chase and expecting them to answer your every question on your beck and call? Sound reasonable?

Cranky little bugger aren't you. I tried that here is what happens.

With 10 Question you get
1-3 answered and 7-10.

Cheer up and have a drink or something it might lighten you up. :D

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Okay I need to Order some medications and such. But there are so many could you guys give me a good idea on what to keep on hand and how much. We have 60 birds.
How often do you do it?
Unless you can actually SEE worms in their droppings, you don't really KNOW if they have worms or not without having a vet do a fecal test.
What I tell you is what I do personally in my loft. You'll probably get other answers.
I worm different birds at different times. My breeders for instance, are prisoners, so they never leave the loft, are never on the ground so the likelyhood of them picking up worms is not very high. I worm them twice a year for the most part.
My racers or flyers who ARE out of the loft and are mixed with other birds during the year, I worm 3 or 4 times a year.
You can get wormers to treat the flock or you can get Ivermectin, which will treat the flock, but it can also be given to each individual bird. I use both actually.

I don't know if any of this has ever been done and I'm trying to learn as I go. No one around here seems to know anything about pigeons (Pet shops, feed stores, etc.)

Thanks for the help.

Meds that you need to keep on hand, or rather, that I keep on hand at all times:
Treatment for coccidiosis, canker, respiratory, and an antibiotic like Baytril, (which I have never had or used) or Amoxicillin, which is the one I ALWAYS keep on hand.

Things like coccidiosis is something that the birds "have" anyway. Under stress it will rear it's head and need to be treated. Canker is the same. Respiratory is something that shouldn't be a big problem if your loft is vetilated well, unless, again, your birds are mixed with other birds.

They say (not sure who "they" are.....:confused: ) that you should use two different meds to treat the various ailments and rotate them so that your birds don't become immune to them. I try to do that.

There are some things that you should be able to pick up at your local feed store.
You can get Sulmet for coccidiosis. It comes in liquid and powder. I've always used the liquid.
You can get Aueromicyn (general antibiotic ) and Terramycin (for respiratory) too if the feed store carries "chicken" stuff.
Before you start ordering stuff from the pigeon supply companies, make sure that it's not available in your area to avoid paying shipping charges. They are outrageous and are going up in about 11 days.

You should also be giving your birds some vitamins and natural things such as Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic, oh, and don't forget probiotics.
Any time you medicate your birds for anything, you need to give them probiotcs for at least 2 days to get their gut bacteria back in balance. Especially when giving antibiotics, cause it kills ALL the bacteria. Good and Bad.
I've probably left out something or may have even said something that isn't completely correct and if so, I'm sure I'll be corrected! LOL
Gotta go ship my birds now............

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hi Shrek,

Brad.........come on man......give the guy a break. What meds to give birds has nothing to do with ferals homing and life cycles of pigeons. I think he posted his questions in the appropiate catagories?????
If he asked all his questions in the same post, someone would tell him to post questions in the appropiate place so the right people would see and answer.

OK.......so all the questions were in General Discussions........still, one question has nothing to do with the other.:)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Renee's advice is perfect

How often do you do it?

Thanks for the help.
I used to worm birds once or twice a year even if they didn't fly loose. There are a ton of wormers to choose from. I just used Bayverm N from Foys. It's a powder that doesn't like to mix with water, I think it's probably Praziquantel which doesn't mix well but is a very safe product. Some are tougher than others. If you go to Foys website, you should be able to pick what looks safe and you would not mind using (or paying for). I used to use Tramisol which is a hog wormer and was one of those wondercures that got rid of everything, eggs and all. It is now considered to be one of the harsher treatments and has a new name which I forget.

One of the top choices will be Ivermectin which comes in many forms and was the wonder drug of the last century. It rids all critters of any and all parasites and is likely what you use on a dog or cat for flea control. I used to buy the injectable solution (not water soluble) and would put a drop or two on a birds' skin, depended on the size of the bird. It also is considered very safe and there is a water soluble one, maybe they call it the drench. Good stuff.

It is a good idea to have a few things on hand and to treat for a couple of things each year. I like the Sulpha drugs like Albon (liquid) as they treat a few of the main things to be concerned with, Paratyphoid, Coccidiosis, Fowl Cholera (can't tell you much about that one, OK nothing) and one other that I always forget. I only worry about the top two. There are other products that treat these diseases or prevent them as well and everyone likes Baytryl but it is harsher than Sulphas. It is good to use this right before breeding season, before eggs are laid as eggs can get some of these diseases from mom and high mortality rates of embryos and young are the result.

It's also a good idea to have something on hand for canker, just in case. I prefer the pills and use them only if I ever find canker, which I haven't found in a number of years. I have Emtryl tablets and they used to work very well.

You can vaccinate for PMV but I've never had a pigeon with this disease. This could certainly be more prevalent somewhere else but I've never seen it.

Another that people vaccinate for is Pigeon Pox. I never have and I've never had a pigeon with it in nearly 50 years of raising birds. It comes from mosquitoes, which we certainly have but perhaps it's more prevalent elsewhere as well.

I hope this helps. Don't worry about Brad, he is very helpful. Maybe he got up on the wrong side of the hockey stick.

Bill

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Banned
6,379 Posts
Totally off topic for this thread but...Brad...I think you would have time to help rear a youngster.:D :p
Thanks Charis,

I appreciate your kindness and support. However, as much as I might want to hand raise, rear or look after a youngster, it wouldn't be in the cards for me. I work full time midnights 11pm-7:30am. I also have a lot of other "responsibilities" to do through the work week that generally keep me up unil noon or later.

Right now, I'm on a partial lay-off but it won't last long. My job is mostly secure and my hours are all midnights only. My schedule DOES revolve around the graveyard though and that is what I'm used to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts