Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pigeon who has developed Sinus Canker. He's one eye has been shut due to inflammation and yellow color lesion is also seen on his beak. He cannot eat of his own. I am feeding him liquid through dropper. I have seen in one of the website about Sinus Canker and its medicine is Ronidazole. In my locality i could not find the medicine. I am bit worried as to how i can cure him. Please suggest some alternate effective medicine at the earliest .

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
If there is a lesion formed on the outside of the beak, that is another problem. The closed eye could actually be Sinusitis.

But, for Canker you could use Metronidazole or Turbosole.

I have Ronidazole, and it was advertised as being a remedy for Crop Canker.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
You didn't state where you were located. Please tell us where you are located.

In a case of nasty and resistant canker I always double-up the canker meds. This usually means Metronidazole+ Ronidazole (Ronsec is a trade name for Ronidazole...do a search for 'Ronsec').

Sometimes it means I will use Metronidazole+ Spartrix.

Sometimes Ronidazole + Spartrix.

My avian vet told me a while ago that canker has become more resistant to Metronidazole alone, so they are seeing better results with multiple canker meds.

If you cannot get Ronsec.... and you can get Metronidazole and you can get Spartrix, then get those two and administer them.

That should do the trick.

You are correct...you need to acquire these quickly.

You say "In my locality I could not find the medicine".....If you cannot find Two of these three locally, you need to order online and have them Express Mailed/Overnight shipped to you. If you are in the usa, call Jedd's or Foy's...place the order over the phone w/ credit card, and have them Express Mail it to you by the end of TODAY.

If you can at least find ONE of these three locally...get it immediately...start it....and order a second one with at least Priority/3-day shipping.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You didn't state where you were located. Please tell us where you are located.

In a case of nasty and resistant canker I always double-up the canker meds. This usually means Metronidazole+ Ronidazole (Ronsec is a trade name for Ronidazole...do a search for 'Ronsec').

Sometimes it means I will use Metronidazole+ Spartrix.

Sometimes Ronidazole + Spartrix.

My avian vet told me a while ago that canker has become more resistant to Metronidazole alone, so they are seeing better results with multiple canker meds.

If you cannot get Ronsec.... and you can get Metronidazole and you can get Spartrix, then get those two and administer them.

That should do the trick.

You are correct...you need to acquire these quickly.

You say "In my locality I could not find the medicine".....If you cannot find Two of these three locally, you need to order online and have them Express Mailed/Overnight shipped to you. If you are in the usa, call Jedd's or Foy's...place the order over the phone w/ credit card, and have them Express Mail it to you by the end of TODAY.

If you can at least find ONE of these three locally...get it immediately...start it....and order a second one with at least Priority/3-day shipping.
Thanks. I am located New Delhi,India. Can you suggest quantity and dosage of above combination of drugs and for how many days it should be continued?

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
If you can get the meds, it'll give you the dose on the bottle/pack. It can vary according to how it is sold.

Yes, Jaye is right on - canker can develop resistance. Problem is probably that in a particular loft, there's usually a 'resident' strain of caker, and if the loft owner gives a medicine regularly to prevent canker, the organisms can develop resistance to that particular medicine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts