Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. From what I've read on this forum and some other sources, the dosage of Pyrantel Pamoate for pigeons is around 2-6 mg (even in pretty recent threads). The dosage of Pyrantel Pamoate is around 4-10 mg for a 500 gram pigeon. Now, each tablet of Mediworm contains 20 mg of Pyrantel Pamoate and 5 mg Praziquantel. That means if you give a pigeon a correct dosage of Pyrantel Pamoate, the dosage of Praziquantel is too low.

It looks like Mediworm is one of the most popular wormers used by PT members. I would like to know what you think about the ingredient ratio and why you like to use this wormer. Thanks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Pyrantel pamoate is very poorly absorbed, giving it a huge safety margin. I prefer treating them with an exact, weight based dose of the specific wormer they need. But most people use those combo pills without a problem.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The reason people give the combo pills for worms is that they will take care of any worms the bird may have. Pretty hard to know what worms may be there until you deworm. Having a vet check the droppings for eggs isn't always helpful, as the eggs don't always show even when the bird does have worms. Often the test comes back negative and the bird does have worms. So better to just worm anyway if worms are suspected. So with the combo meds you cover more bases.
Howl, this med works well. Can you not give the whole pill? They are usually based on a 400 gram pigeon. But unless you are talking a much smaller bird, like 200 or 250 grams, then I would just give the one pill. If it does need to be cut in half, it would still be enough for 200-250 gram bird.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howl, this med works well. Can you not give the whole pill? They are usually based on a 400 gram pigeon. But unless you are talking a much smaller bird, like 200 or 250 grams, then I would just give the one pill. If it does need to be cut in half, it would still be enough for 200-250 gram bird.
My birds are around 500-600 gram, but I am concerned about giving them higher doses than necessary as I think that they may have damaged liver (they have yellow urine/feces sometimes and were treated with canker just around 4 months ago). Do you think 6 mg of Pyrantel Pamoate is enough for them? I wil buy Pyrantel Pamoate on its own in that case. For tape worm I have moxidectin plus, will rotate between these 2.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It has a wide safety margin and is safe. But you need to do what you feel good about.
Yes, 6 mg is right.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Jay3: may I ask is there any reason that you like Mediworm other than the convenience of having 2 wormers in one tablet, for example the quality of Medpet products are more reliable than most other brand etc.? I would like to take that into account as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Msfreebird and bootface: thank you all for your inputs. Perhaps it's due to the huge safe margin of Pyrantel Pamoate that the info of its dosage is a bit confusing for people who want to play it safe. The first time I gave it to my birds, I gave them only 2mg each, and saw no worms passing out. But just 2 months later one of my birds had a worm in her droppings, so 2mg must be too low.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
@Jay3: may I ask is there any reason that you like Mediworm other than the convenience of having 2 wormers in one tablet, for example the quality of Medpet products are more reliable than most other brand etc.? I would like to take that into account as well.
I use Moxidectin Plus also. Moxidectin Plus also contains Praziquantel for tapeworm. It contains safe wormers and gets tapeworm as well. It works. Sometimes easier to give a tablet than a liquid.
Also, you want to use a couple of different wormers. I like these 2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts