Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few different occassions this year of fertile eggs survive until very close to hatching and then the egg appears to literally melt, killing the near ready to hatch baby inside. The egg appears to just kinda fold back, and kindof melt off the top half of the fetus. Anybody heard of this, and better yet, know what causes it, and how to prevent it from happening again? I feed a 17% race grain diet, supplemented with regular red grit, crushed oyster shell, and a granular form of mineral salt that is top dressed to the grit. Any answers much appreciated...
Kelley

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
:eek: :eek: I've never heard of such a thing. Got any pictures? How does anything melt in Alaska?? :D Sorry, couldn't resist.
Maybe some of these people that's been around birds a really long time will have an answer.
Weird. :confused:

·
Registered
25,396 Posts
Wow...that sounds very strange.

Have you treated your birds with any preventatives, like for E coli or Paratyphoid?

Any nutritional prevention?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes,Ecoli is covered (along with worms and I believe canker) with the use of Multi Mix, given every 8 weeks or so in the water to the entire flock.* Also, everyone has been vaccinated for Paratyfoid with the injectible vaccine.* The hens producing these eggs are young (first year breeding), and I am on my way out right now to see if yesterdays casulty is easily reachable so I can submit a picture.* These eggs appear normal in every other way right up to the point where they just melt off and kill the babies inside.** Kelley

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
I've seen this too but not in a while. The chicks die in the shell, turn black and it breaks down turns to liquid.
You said you treat the entire flock via the water....in my opinion, it's always better to treat individually because then you know each bird has received the medication it needs. I understand that treating individually can be difficult if you have a lot of birds. It's also important to rotate medications.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Yes,Ecoli is covered (along with worms and I believe canker) with the use of Multi Mix, given every 8 weeks or so in the water to the entire flock.* Kelley
HI KELLY, Well the first thing I would like to know is why are you treating your birds every 8 weeks with a multi mix.You over medicating and that can be worst for the birds.If you worm your birds every 6 months that should be more then enough,also if you give your birds garlic juice in the water 2 or 3 times a week that will keep the worms under control and I fact it will most bactria under control.I would say that by treating every 8 weeks you have killed off most of the good bactria which antibiotic also kill. Melting eggs is a new one on me some thing that I never have heard of. you should get a good probiotic and build up the friendly bacteria in your birds gut. .GEORGE;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
George,
Do you use the garlic juice that is purchased in the little plastic container or do you milk it from the whole garlic bulb?

Other George

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
George,
Do you use the garlic juice that is purchased in the little plastic container or do you milk it from the whole garlic bulb?

Other George
HI AVION, I have used it both ways,some people also give a pill. I have juiced the garlic, I get a 3 pound jar of peeled garlic at COSTCO a wholesaler. I juice the 3lbs with 1 large onion, I add this to 1 gallon of distilled water,and keep in the refrigator. I use 1 shot glass full to a gallion of drinking water 2 or 3 times a week when not racing during the race season only once a week on Wednesday. I no longer race but I still show birds and I give them the garlic treatment 2 times a week. I am happy with this method. .GEORGE;)

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Hey Trail

Would like to know which one of you up there got my DRO bird from the futurity auction last fall? I can send them a pedigree if they would like. Its greats are four birds directly out of the Janssen brothers loft. As for your issue. A question that I would ask is when exactly do the eggs disolve. Is it before 18 days or after they are scheduled to hatch? I know temperature can be an issue in Alaska. How big are the young when you find them dead in the egg? My thoughts are that they die early maybe from the cold or a bug and then decay to your mush and break down. This is just a theory. Also what nesting material are you using. I would think a good nest of pine needles would work great. You may try a nest pad or something to insulate the eggs. Moisture is not good in the nest. Damp air and damp nests are not good.

Randy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update to the melting eggs

Hey Trail

Would like to know which one of you up there got my DRO bird from the futurity auction last fall? I can send them a pedigree if they would like.
Hi Randy,
I think a gal down in Homer got it, can double check, if so, I know she would love the pedigree. I am getting ready to send a few birds to Jerry next week for his race, tis the season!

The babies perish nearly right at 18 days, give or take a day or so. They are fully formed, and don't turn to mush at all, just the egg does.

I use sand in the bottom of all my nest bowls, and they are given all the dry straw they want to build thier nests with. We are in an area where there are no pines, just spruce, and those needles are so small they are impossible to collect.

Moisture is not a problem, we have close to zero humidiy, and my breeding loft has been heated at 50 degrees since December. The loft is well ventilated.

I fear I may have been over medicating, and will start rotating medications, and decrease the frequency.

Could not get any pictures, was too far down in the garbage bag, but will submit photos if it happens again.Thanks for all the input...
Kelley

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Send me her e-mail and I will send it to her. The bird is off a Vic Miller cock and a full Janssen hen off of two Ganus birds. I have the pedigree on excel and she can just print it out when I send it to her.

Now that you mention it, I am thinking that medication might be your problems. If you medicate during egg formation or young rearing, this could be a problem. I only medicate before I put my birds together and I have not done this for three years. Natural imune systems are what I want. My birds do not mix with others. I only fly futurities and club races in other cities with others flying my birds.

I do give vitamines via red cell and powder, brewers yeast, fresh grit, picking stones, garlic and olive oil, and I am going to start with honey.

If you are going to do another round, I would stop all medication to your breeders.

Randy

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I have not tried any other types of yeast so I do not know their value. I just use what I order from Jedds or get at the health food store. Put a little oil on the feed and mix brewers yeast and vitamines in. Any yeast high in protien should work I would think.

Randy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts