Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear Adopters, Volunteers, Supporters of MickaCoo and Friends of Pigeons,

Despite tremendous support from all of you, MickaCoo Pigeon & Dove Rescue is facing a crisis. The number of king pigeons coming into Northern California shelters is much higher than the number of adoptions.

MickaCoo is going to have to turn away new intakes. Once that happens, shelters will once again find themselves running out of space and king pigeons will likely be euthanized for lack of homes (unless shelter pigeon adoption rates can be increased).

MickaCoo has 20 amazing pigeons currently in need of forever homes. Bay Area shelters also have pigeons in need of homes, especially the Marin Humane Society which has been so generous in making space when MickaCoo cannot.

Unfortunately, MickaCoo is not alone in this crisis. I know there are lots of other rescues which are also struggling to cope with the needs of so many homeless animals. Knowing that eight million dogs and cats are euthanized in this country every year for want of a home makes me very aware of how rare and precious it is to find a great forever home for a meat pigeon.

MickaCoo has been extremely fortunate to have such generous support from all of you and has benefited from a lot of really positive publicity. I hardly feel like I can ask for more.

But I am asking. MickaCoo needs more adopters (and more funds for vet care and more volunteer support but I'll save those pleas for another day).

I'm not asking for folks who are already full up to take in more but please do be creative about further spreading the word about king pigeons as pets. And remember- MickaCoo ships so spread the word to your far-away friends and relatives too.

Thank you.
e

G

·
its just sad that there will never be an end to the need for homes for these beautiful and valaint birds .. it breaks my heart that there will never be enuf homes to place them all :(

·
Registered
935 Posts
its just sad that there will never be an end to the need for homes for these beautiful and valaint birds .. it breaks my heart that there will never be enuf homes to place them all :(
That is very true, but that is why all of us...even breeders of homers and other fancy breeds need to encourage adoption. We also need to encourage the practice of pigeon BC (birth control) by use of fake eggs.

It is also why everyone that is placed in a home is so very special. These pigeons have the same pet potential as any other pigeon folks. So PLEASE if you are looking for some pet pigeons....try to contact mickacoo. You could be saving a life, and everyone of them counts :).

-Hilly

·
Registered
935 Posts
Bumping!!!! :D

Isn't there any new members or old members looking to adopt?
Bumping just in case there is and this post was missed....

-Hilly

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Elizabeth, do you know if some are adopted from the Marin Humane Society, if they then turn around and take in more? I know someone in San Rafael who might take two from there. I just want to make sure they will take in two more if taken from there.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
All the kings I have seen from MickaCoo are utility Kings. They are not as squished up as the show ones are, and are larger and longer. Like huge homers almost. The reason they don't look as fat is probably because they weren't very well taken care of before they were found. But, a lot of birds sold down there for meat are mixes too. I think they just take whatever they can get their hands on to sell. Unlike the squab plants, who have mini Godzillas hobbling around :p
It's really sad all these birds are let go or escape, and end up dying in the 'wild' :( I know a lot of people will release the market birds with good intent, but it just doesn't work that way with domestic birds :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
It makes me feel so bad because I want to take them all in! :( Poor birds!
I'm with you! I feel the same way. I wish I lived in sunny CA (or even the US so the birds could be shipped to me) -- I would build a giant forever-home loft and take care of them! :)

Hopefully there are some people out there who'll be able to offer a home to them.

*sending prayers for the pijies*

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
In San Francisco we have a huge district called China Town, where many live animals are sold, including many pigeons--some kings and others mixes of kings and other breeds. Sometimes there are helmets, or capuchins, or satinettes, etc. Often tourists or other visitors to China Town will feel sorry for these birds and purchase them, then set them free under the impression they can survive. Most of these are "fancy" pigeons in one way or another and have been bred for generations and generations to live in small cages and be fattened up for food. When released, these birds just sit around until something or someone gets them. Often they end up at the shelters. Ten years ago it wasn't like this; the most the SFACC had (for instance) was about ten a month, if that. And the other shelters would get one in now and then. Not sure why the big surge the last few years. But more and more keep pouring in and there is really just nowhere for them to go now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts