Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This afternoon, my wife and I found a Mourning Dove on our yard, resting still on the grass in full sunlight in this Texas corching heat (100 F.) It's head was moving like a "drunk person" or like when someone has a heat stroke. My wife approched it and didn't try to get away. She pick it up a got it to our shaded porch. It was alive but seemed to be exhausted. Eyes were open wide, very little eye lid movement. We took a 1ml seringe and gave it water drop by drop which it took gratefully. No signs of injury, no blood or liquid loss, no defecation, symetric body contour was present and no abnormal body posture observed. After about 15 minutes of gradual water intake (still drop by drop), we decided to put it in a lage open container lined with a towel and isolated it from the rest of the house's traffic in one of our bathroom. We left a small light at floor level to and closed the door to let it rest... And see if it would survive! We checked back about 1h30 later. It had not move location and was "sleeping". I talk to it and gently touch it's wing and open it's eyes. We picked up the container and gave it some more water that it took in very well, good swallowing motion. Heart rate is about 132 on auscultation and respiration are about 12 - 14. Does not move it head alot but did on a few occasion (seems hard to). So we got heat, isolation and hydratation down ok, but just wondering what else can be done on our part. Any advise will be appreciated! Thanks... Robert, Houston TX

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

Sorry everyone, but little texas dove just passed away a few minutes ago.:(

At least we can say that it died in dingnity and in a loving and confortable environment. A small grave was made and there, it rest in peace.

Have a good evening.

Robert of Houston

1 - 3 of 3 Posts