Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot of people say they wished they could make actual fantailed doves, as in ringneck doves with fanned tails. Especially those who do the wedding releases and whatnot, who would like something as gorgeous as a fantail in a display cage, but complain that the size of them is just a tad too big.
So I was thinking yesterday, what if you were to put some of the smallest fantails you can find (I prefer Indians, but it seems people are wanting to make them bigger!), with figs? With some careful breeding, how easily do you think it could be done? What I imagine in my head, is like a tiny Satinette with a fanned tail :p Looks very pretty in my head, with that cute zipper frill and all.

Wouldn't that be cool? :D

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I've heard a lot of people say they wished they could make actual fantailed doves, as in ringneck doves with fanned tails. Especially those who do the wedding releases and whatnot, who would like something as gorgeous as a fantail in a display cage, but complain that the size of them is just a tad too big.
So I was thinking yesterday, what if you were to put some of the smallest fantails you can find (I prefer Indians, but it seems people are wanting to make them bigger!), with figs? With some careful breeding, how easily do you think it could be done? What I imagine in my head, is like a tiny Satinette with a fanned tail :p Looks very pretty in my head, with that cute zipper frill and all.

Wouldn't that be cool? :D
Go for it! I"ll take the first pair off of you..............LOL

·
Registered
224 Posts
if you manage to breed them, i'll buy some young birdies from you Becky:D.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
hey that is a nice idea, I think they may look a bit like an oriental roller just a bit smaller with cute small beaks....hey I just so happen to have a white fig hen without a mate....ummmmm, I would use the American fantail, just because I like the clean feet and I think they are a bit smaller than the indian....But you know you would have to come up with a name for your new breed.... Anyone have an American fantail cock they don't want.....lol....

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bantam Fantails, LOL :p
I like Indians because I like feathered feet and the crests. But I guess they could come in both clean legged and feathered -thinks-. I have a single male white Indian fantail but no figs :p

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Bantam Fantails, LOL :p
I like Indians because I like feathered feet and the crests. But I guess they could come in both clean legged and feathered -thinks-. I have a single male white Indian fantail but no figs :p
do you think the fantail would be too big for the fig hen? if not you can have her if you want to try it.:)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure if he'd be too big or not. Might try it later on but right now I think I have enough birds. And no shipping money :p

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have six white indian fantails. So you need a female Becky?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I only have one pair of indians and their lonely son. For some reason finding white ones around here isn't easy. I like colors just fine but the pure whites are just beautiful!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Yeah I only have one pair of indians and their lonely son. For some reason finding white ones around here isn't easy. I like colors just fine but the pure whites are just beautiful!
I will tell you what I'll do. I have six. Two have now paired off, when I get two more paired off I'll give you the last two. Just give them a month, they are flirting now just too young to know.

Sound good,
Tony

PS, Mini fantails sound good but my focus is on frillbacks now. What a beautiful bird a frillback makes.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Man that was a quick response!!! I'll keep in touch.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not a whole big size difference, but they are cool. It's funny how you just thought of it and it pops right up.

Well......I got a diiferent challenge for ya; see if you can breed some white mookees. lol

1 - 20 of 67 Posts