Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been about a week and a half since i removed the hobble on my pigeons legs, and shes been doing great! Thank you to all who helped me :)

Now i have another problem, it seems shes gotten mites. I think this is what they are, small, red bugs. I saw one on her this morning and picked it off and crushed it and got some blood on my fingers. I dont know what kind of mites they are, but they dont bother her too much, she scratchs her head sometimes though.
What can i get her to be rid of the mites?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
looks like you have a case of red mites
they come out at night when the pigeon is sleeping and suck blood from its feet usually
there are chemical sprays you can buy at a pigeon supply spot and spary the perches with it and that will usually take care of the problem.
there are also powders you can add to the bath water to take care of mites and lice

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are there any special brands that work better then others? or just anything really? Ive only seen them on her head, but i guess they could walk anywhere XD

Ill look up some sprays and such and see what i can find. Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
There are a number of products on the market. Pyrethrins (and their synthetic counterparts) are supposed to be the safest. The pigeon supply companies such as Foy's, Global and Siegel sell them. I have found that if the bird has a really bad infestation dipping is more effective than spraying. Permectrin II can be diluted--instructions are on the bottle--and you can dip her. Just make sure you don't put her head in or get it in her eyes.

Unfortunately I have seen some stubborn cases of lice and mites that seemed to be resistant to pyrethrin-based insecticides. On those I have used malathion dip (also sold by Foy's). I hate using it because it's an organophosphate, is highly toxic and smells vile, but it does work and will keep the pigeon bug-free for a good six months. But I would try Permectrin II first. If you can't find it locally, pet stores carry sprays for cage birds that contain pyrethrins as their active ingredient. Spray your pigeon under the wings and at the base of her tail. You might have to do it several times (a few days apart) to get rid of all the bugs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea ive seen the pyrethrin spray stuff, im getting some tommorrow, i read that i should also spray her cage so that the bugs that arent on her will be killed. This spray isnt toxic to pigeons? As long as i dont get it in her eyes she will be fine? what if she preens herself and gets it in her mouth? would it hurt her?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
yea ive seen the pyrethrin spray stuff, im getting some tommorrow, i read that i should also spray her cage so that the bugs that arent on her will be killed. This spray isnt toxic to pigeons? As long as i dont get it in her eyes she will be fine? what if she preens herself and gets it in her mouth? would it hurt her?
If you spray the cage, let it dry before you put the bird back in it. Preening won't hurt her. She'll be fine.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think someone here also once suggested/recommended a bath of 1/4 c. borax and 1/4 cup epsom salts added to 4 gallons water as a bath to treat for mites....I have tried it with no ill effects and for some birds it gets a more thorough saturation...

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Red Mites

As Ston3d said in his post you have RED MITES this mite does not live on the pigeon but hides in the cracks in the walls, and nest boxes during the day and come out a night and feast on the birds.To kill this mite one MUST SPRAY all the cracks in the loft. While bathing the birds is a good thing you will not get rid of the red mite until you spray all the cracks, nest boxes, and perches as that is where they live and breed.The life cycle of this mite is only 7 days the adult female starts laying her eggs after her first blood meal these eggs are in the cracks as are the adults during the day so you can see that it is of the utmost importance to spray the cracks and you should follow up about 6 days later with another spraying of the cracks.You must brake the life cycle of this mite. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Thank you for the info on that George. I bought some perch oil that is supposed to keep them away from the pigeons. Any opinions on that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very good info George, ive sprayed the loft and all cracks in it, and also her inside cage. Im also gonna vaccuum the house to get up any eggs that may be laid.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Does anyone (George?? :D ) have info on those dang feather lice? The tiny brown ones?
I have not been able to move my new Berliners into the loft because they have just a few (I'll find like 2 to 4 of them at any given time) on their rumps only and I am spraying and bathing them, removing the ones I find, and these suckers won't die... I'm trying not to have to use the Malathion but maybe it's the only way. I've even used Purge and still they persist.

Wondering what the life cycle is on the lice, so I know when this is truly over. I've never had lice in my loft, don't want to start now.

:(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you tried useing Ivermectin? its a medicin used in drinking water that kills off mites/lice. You could use Sevin dust too but i think that might be toxic to humans if you breathe it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, the dust should work, and you can buy the invermectin 0.5%. It's for worming. You put 3 to 4 drops down the throat, and repeat in abt. 10 to 12 days. Anyway, it will kill any bloodsucking bugs also, when they bite the bird. It'll work on the mites. Also, Permethrin sprays. Or, I think you can buy scat at the pet shop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts