Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mites / CARING FOR BOTH PURPLE MARTINS AND PIGEONS?

I now have Racing/Hominh Pigeons that Ive been racing in both OB and YB series.
Long time ago i used to care for Purple Martins(PM)and housed them on their yearly migration from Brazil. Everyti e I did clean their gourds/house they always had bird mites. Specially when they're raising their ypungs and fledgling. Hence I stop having them when i switch d to Racing Pigeons.
Question: ive been thinking of having them again... Curious if anyone here is caring for both and have notice if the infestation effects pigeons. Someone told me before that PM mites dont like or dont go on Pigeons. True??

·
Registered
433 Posts
Oh, yeh ! pigeons get mites, they come out at nite usually and love to suck pigeon blood. Too much of that and they will not race well! If you see them stamping their feet ( at nite ) And acting tired you could have mites.

·
Banned
569 Posts
I now have Racing/Hominh Pigeons that Ive been racing in both OB and YB series.
Long time ago i used to care for Purple Martins(PM)and housed them on their yearly migration from Brazil. Everyti e I did clean their gourds/house they always had bird mites. Specially when they're raising their ypungs and fledgling. Hence I stop having them when i switch d to Racing Pigeons.
Question: ive been thinking of having them again... Curious if anyone here is caring for both and have notice if the infestation effects pigeons. Someone told me before that PM mites dont like or dont go on Pigeons. True??
You can spray for mites.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I concur, it's way too easy to control them to just let your birds suffer. Add wormer to the bath water or try Borax 20 mule team cleaner.
Ivomectrin Sheep Drench in the bath water is also a great way to control exterior bugs and it also controls bugs on the inside. Give em a bath....
On to Purple Martins, I have had them at my place for 15 yrs, and yes they will get mites, I have used Diatematious Earth and even added 7 Dust to the nests under the babies.
I haven't checked any nests this year because I don't think they have babies yet, they are just now laying eggs. Hope all this yacking helps.
Tim

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Gents! Appreciate the insights. That's what Im afraid of.. as much as I want to put up another Purple Martin(PM) House.. Im afraid that the mites will make it to my pigeon lofts and ruin a racing season :(

Too bad as the Martins have outstanding Hawk alarm instincts that helps the pigeons.

I do lay Sevin dust in the corners and crevices of the loft every after thorough cleaning.
I also have the mite drops for pigeons.

I can confidently say that my pigeons are free of lice and mites, 'till I basket them with other birds this OB season :( I just have to be vigilant from that point on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Usually have between 25 and 30 pairs of Martins here at the farm also race pigeons in both Bo’s & YB’s never noticed any more mites than usual. That said I do spray lofts and Martin Gourds annually.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Now that we are some weeks away from the start of this thread and the Martins have chicks I can say that there is no noticeable threat from the Martins to my race team. (No bio-contamination I can see)

My race loft and my Martin colony are probably 100 feet apart and they do fly around together but neither lands or enters the others house. I can't see how insects on one could ever effect the other.....just my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts