Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,
so i was wondering what would happen if i mixed my modena hen, and my tipler cock together, what sort of bird would i get?
i have paired all of my birds and out of both flocks these two were left alone
any ideas? :)
luke.

·
Registered
857 Posts
You would get mixed breed babies, that couldn't fly as well as a Tippler and that were smaller and lighter than a Modena.
They would most likely have less resale value than either parent, if you wanted to sell them, but as long as you are happy with them it really won't matter.

·
Registered
253 Posts
What is it that you are trying to acomplish? You will get birds that are modena tippler crosses . One or both may look more like the modena or the tippler, you won't know until they start to develop.

What I would do is use them for foster parents (put a pair of eggs under them from a pair you like and let the crossed pair raise them up). The eggs need to be laid within 3 days of each other.

Walter

·
Registered
578 Posts
i agree with covenant lofts there.. i have 6 extra cock birds this year and i am goin gto get some roller hens to mate up and foster my mookees but you have to keep track of who's is who's well i keep a record of everything what cock bird and hen made what babies and write there bands in a book this way if the baby's do not meet show requirements i can split the pair and make a new one :) it's fun tricky business
good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok
thanks for the replies, i was going to do it as an experiment and so that they werent on their own, i havent got a camera to show you the result, but i will introduce them in bout ten minutes and see what happens, wish me luck :)
luke.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
You would get mixed breed babies, that couldn't fly as well as a Tippler and that were smaller and lighter than a Modena.
They would most likely have less resale value than either parent, if you wanted to sell them, but as long as you are happy with them it really won't matter.
what Keith has said is what you will get. you can pair them just so they have a mate, but you do not have to let any babies hatch... just use your fake eggs. or let some hatch, but remember you will have to be responsible for them for the 15 or perhaps 20 something years they may live, as not many are going to want mixed breeds... then who will you mate up with them when the time comes?, you most likely will not want to keep breeding mixed breeds, so they will be always extra in the loft with out much use. But Im sure they can have quailities you find interesting, for awhile anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok,
so i paired them up in the aviary i used for my budgies, (not anymore) and perfecto! piples (cock), cooed and cooed, and then zaa-zaa (hen) took an interest and right now they are snuggled up in the nest box, zaa-zaa keeps preening piples, so cute! :p tomorrow i will put the pine leaves in so that they can start building their nest.
by the way, this has nothing to do with this post, but with your birds, does the cock, the hen, or both of them make the nests, because from what ive noticed, it depends on the individuals, sometimes they both want to make a nest and some times one of them just looks on as the other does it all. what is your experience?
oh yes, spirit wings,
i hve plenty of friends that will take the mixed breeds hapily, i wil most probably keep them tough :D.
luke.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Both cock and hen take part in the nest building activity. It is the cock who collects more of the material and bring into the nest but yes the hen will also collect some.

During the egg laying process the hen will be stationed in the nest box in a seated like position and mainly uses the time in arranging the materials brought by the cock.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi,
he's been feeding her for about ten minutes, and then just a moment ago she gave it all back to him, he accepted happily. i cant stop watching them, their non stop preening has gotten me addicted! :)
luke.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
ok,
so i paired them up in the aviary i used for my budgies, (not anymore) and perfecto! piples (cock), cooed and cooed, and then zaa-zaa (hen) took an interest and right now they are snuggled up in the nest box, zaa-zaa keeps preening piples, so cute! :p tomorrow i will put the pine leaves in so that they can start building their nest.
by the way, this has nothing to do with this post, but with your birds, does the cock, the hen, or both of them make the nests, because from what ive noticed, it depends on the individuals, sometimes they both want to make a nest and some times one of them just looks on as the other does it all. what is your experience?
oh yes, spirit wings,
i hve plenty of friends that will take the mixed breeds hapily, i wil most probably keep them tough :D.
luke.

just wondering what is point of doing this.? and what kind of breed or mix breed will you use to pair up with the birds you want to let hatch? will you just keep breeding mutt pigeons?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just wondering what is point of doing this.? and what kind of breed or mix breed will you use to pair up with the birds you want to let hatch? will you just keep breeding mutt pigeons?
i will have them in with my rescue feral pigeons. and it will probably be the last time i do this, cause its a waste of time if i'm not going to sel them,
its just for fun.
luke.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Playing the devils advocate here and wondering .... initially Keith then Spirit wings advised against this pairing citing the resultant chicks as kind of inferior. Why do you assume that the offspring would carry the lesser qualities of the parents ? could they not in fact carry the better qualities and out perform the parent birds ?. Is there some scientific basis for your prognosis, perhaps some expert observation made previously ?.

I ask because I have seen on this site some absolutely gorgeous cross breeds. Wonderful coloration and physiques. I am also left wondering if we would have any of the various breeds available today without experimentation and chance .

Views anyone ?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I did not advise against crossing them, I just advised what the likely outcome was.
Tipplers are a light weight bird, bred to fly so high you can barely see them and to stay aloft for extended periods of time.
Modenas are a meat breed, that are now mostly shown, developed for large breasts. They are poor flyers and spend most of the time walking around.
Both breeds have been bred for their type for a long time. It is very unlikely that they carry recessives, that when crossed together, would produce offspring superior to the parents in their very different uses.
In my experience, mix breeds do not sell well. I sell pigeons and dogs for a living.
I don't dislike misbreeds, my favorite dog, Dingle, is a mix. Her value to me is enormous, but to most others miniscule.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I agree, mix breeds are hard to sell compared to original breeds, moreover mixing a modena and a tippler, the most you can expect is a very close to tippler or very close to modena, there is not going to be a flying meat bird for sure.

If you love your mix bred pigeons and want to have them and provide them a mate, thats fine too :) I keep 2 pairs of mix breeds and let them hatch their babies or use them for fostering. I always have takers for mix breeds so I dont get stuck when I am overwhlemed with pigeons and need to sell some young birds.

So go ahead, only thing is years down the line you should not consider them as a burden because then the fun in the hobby is lost and unless you dont have fun, there is no point in having the hobby :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i'll take in to acount what you have all said, and it is just an experiment, if it has good results then i will be very happy, if not, then they will go with my rescues :)
any way, this morning when i went out to put the pine leaves in, they had allready started to put some heather that were in the aviary in the box, so i put the leaves in and they went mad over them, so now they have about half the nest done :)
luke.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
i will have them in with my rescue feral pigeons. and it will probably be the last time i do this, cause its a waste of time if i'm not going to sel them,
its just for fun.
luke.
oh, ok. then have fun. and take care of those young'ins. they can find mates with your ferals, which would be nice and just use your fake eggs..:)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Luke, I'm interested in the outcome also,
keith, and spirit wings are most likely correct, most likely.
But, as we all know, nothing is absolute, untill it is proven Many times over(under many different circumstances).
History doe's repete itself, but not exactly the same all of the time.
More often then not though, when breeding Pigeons.
Make sure, and let us know the outcome! :cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts