Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son and have started construction of our Redrose loft now that the weather has improved. I will post pictures as it progresses. I have changed the Redrose loft slightly:

- it is 6 X 8 instead of 4 X 8 (two feet added to rear of loft)
- it is made of "Plytanium" siding, a combo of plywood and exterior siding.
- the interior is primed, and the exterior is painted prior to construction.
- I have added floor vents to the rear of the loft to aid in ventilation
- due to the CC & R's of my neighborhood it will have a asphalt shingle roof. (no plexi, sheet metal or "Ondura" allowed)

Here is a pic of the basic pieces laid out in the yard before assembling. I had already built the frame foundation at this point.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
That is exactly what I am building...
Just got back from Home Depot last night, I am also doing the 8x6 design.
I went with all Plywood instead of OSB because of the humidity, We live 2 blocks from the Ocean.
I also planned on beefing up the floor a little bit, They have some of the plastic type roof panels called Sun Tuf And I got those but, They look very thin and weak. I don't know if it will hold snow, May switch the roofing out to shingled also.

I have yet to draw out the the design for the side and back panels with adding the extra 2 feet, Care to share your measurements please?
I am only fair at Carpentry and can follow directions, But planning takes me a while to figure out.

What did that siding cost per sheet?

I left the store spending $482.00 last night and only got the lumber, screws, roofing, and blocks.. Still need all the hardware like the hinges, and screening for the aviary and vents,

Look forward to more of your posts and pics, I will post mine too
I hope to get the floor built this afternoon.

Looks great so far!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Calzephry, Loft design looks great. I would like to know where would exhaust vents be and what kind. Also what would be directly above floor vents. Looks great so far and all the best with finishing your construction. Going larger is always a better idea when it comes to raising pigeons. Will you be racing homers, or just keeping fancies for show or flying. Again all the best Greek Boy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The flooring has been installed on the foundation frame (3/4' T&G plywood). Then primed and painted with heavy duty gray porch paint. I could not do the expanded steel grated flooring, so had to go with the old fashioned wooden floor. I will probably live to regret painting it.

Here the back and partial sides have been attached, also. More details and responses to questions when I have time to write later. Going back to the yard for more construction.

-Cal

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
We got a few hours in this afternoon on ours before it poured rain.

Got the floor frame built and up on the blocks and leveled off. Then got the flooring decking down on the frame. Started to pour so we moved to the garage and cut out all of our wall panels.

Will put them up tomorrow or so if we get the rain to stop.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The remaining side panels have been attached along with the some of the trim. Note, the hinges for the door have been attached even though the door has not been fully cut-out. A brace across the front has been installed at the top.

There is still quite a ways to go, just getting the first pieces of trim added. I'm hoping it looks much better as more parts get added.

For those of you interested in cost, here is the items I have purchased so far:

Concrete Support Blocks - 5 @ $6.40 each

2 X 4's - 12 @ $1.98 each

4 x 4 - [email protected] $6.40

4 X 8 ft. 3/4 Plywood T&G - 2 @ $22.98

Framing Anchors - 8 @ $0.40 each

4 X 8 ft. Plytanium Siding (5/8") - 6 @ $33.44 each

4 X 8 ft. 7/16 in. Plywood (Front) - 1 @ $19.47 each

1 X 4 in 8 Ft. pine - 15 @ $4.24 each

1 X 4 in 6 Ft. pine - 10 @ $1.82 each

2 X 2 in. 8 Ft. pine - 2 @ $1.74 each

1.25' Sheet Rock Screws - 5 lbs. @ $19.97

2 inch Sheet Rock Screws - 1 lb. @ $7.89

3 inch Sheet Rock Screws - 1 lb. @ $7.89

4 inch Sheet Rock Screws - 1 lb. @ $7.89

-Cal

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kalkbl - In answer to your question - when you extend the side walls an extra two feet to the rear (and follow the slope of the existing roof-line) the back wall ends up being almost exactly 6 feet high, instead of the 82 inches that the back walls are on the 8 X 4 loft.

You can draw it out on paper, or you can lay the 4 X 8 ft sheet of plywood out on the floor and then measure and draw the line where you cut the roof line (per the Redrose plans). Then lay another piece next to it that is 2 X 8 this will be the side wall extension, and continue the roof line onto that piece. The two pieces together make a six foot side.

Hope this makes some sense.

-Cal

·
Registered
299 Posts
Cal,

Thanks for your help, You and your Son do great work. Looks good.

I am bumping along slowly, I am going to add some additional framing to my walls to stiffen them up, Although I must say the back now that it is anchored in seems pretty sturdy.

Man this thing looks big right now. I am going to put my Vents in the wall After I see what will work Best. Our ground is damp, Which is why I raised it up so much.
I started into Pigeons 3 weeks ago and was given plans to build a Little loft that was 2X3, I built it. Put 6 birds in it and realized this thing is too small and very hard to clean.

Here are some pics of my first little Loft and the progress on my 8x6 Modified Red Rose Loft. Holding off on paint because I think I might put siding on it, Not sure yet.
I am going to return the Sun Tuf roofing and get the Ondura roofing. No doubt that will hold up better.

I can post up my cost's later.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Shady bug
No kidding when I actually got to see and touch it, I said that plastic crap is going back I am using Ondura. They make a sky light panel also, but nobody had one on the shelf.
Trying to find it. I really want to use it.

And correction I started with 7 birds. 5 were 2 year olds. One got out backwards through the bob door when I was in there cleaning. I guess I scared it. Never came back.
The other 2 were peepers that were given to me.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.