Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I Have Birds Who's Tail And Wing Feathers Have Been Cut. Will They Molt In May All These Feathers, Or Should I Aid In This Prcess And Pluck Some? They Can Fly A Bit, But Are Hindered Quit A Bit.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
they will moult out and regrow
give it about 2 months

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
if the cock bird is currently breeding you can try some bully bands
Renee (Lovebirds) has a thread on this forum somewhere about them

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
They will grow faster if plucked. If you wait, then those feathers will follow the molting season and that would take awhile.

·
Registered
754 Posts
plucking feathers

They will grow faster if plucked. If you wait, then those feathers will follow the molting season and that would take awhile.
Just thought I would add this, I was tought how to pluck cut or damaged feathers by a guy who has done so for over twenty years and his training came with a strict warning that lead me to the decission to just leave them be, If by chance a feather is pulled that was not meant to be pulled the bird will bleed severly and can lead to it's death. Now I do not know how true this is but I am not about to find out. Also when he did pull feathers on my birds it still took a long time to regrow and open and I seen no gain in doing this at all since I had no intentions of showing any of them anyway. I personally will wait for the molt.
One more note, the birds that had cut feathers came to me that way, the man who breed them before did the cutting, that is somthing I also do without they breed just fine for me without it.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Well, the main problem with pulling any wing/tail feathers is well stated by the last post, not to mention that unless you do it as they would drop out in a normal Molt,( very few at a time) it will drain the bird of minerals. ALWAYS better to wait until they Molt at the normal Time. A Birds Biological Clock tells it's body to get ready for the molt, if you yank them out before the birds system is ready you are NOT helping the Bird at all...Dave

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Justice, make a different nest box set up for that cock... Give him two boxes facing each other with about 8 inches in between, that will give him what he is looking for, a WELL defined territory.(with a Floor on the bottom, and a roof covering both boxes. My oriental pair are about the most Rowdy pigeons i have owned, and once i gave him/her the described set up they went to work, letting the other pairs go to work. As George S. says.... THINK ABOUT IT! Dave

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
When people pluck the feathers, they are not plucking it when wet--feathers are still alive, but rather they cut the portion of the feather, let the blood bleed, wait until the feather "dies", then they pluck it.

When my birds got attacked by a hawk, it lost is tail and surprisingly it grew faster than if perhaps left alone. Obviously if the poster is not in hurry, then he or she just leave the bird alone. No hurry!

This guy pull the feather after 2 weeks:http://www.pigeonbasics.com/articles/article62.html

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not to pluck is the way i will go

I will not pluck the feathers, seems like a more humane way. I just hate that the poor baby's were so deformed. they get around ok, and seems to be adjusting to the relocation from california ok. its just next to the big texas birds i have they seem skiddish. may is just a few weeks a way. They should be flying in no time. ty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.