Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When will the molting stop? seems like those darn pinfeathers just wont feather out. when do they generally get the fall feathers?

·
Registered
499 Posts
molting

When will the molting stop? seems like those darn pinfeathers just wont feather out. when do they generally get the fall feathers?
i believe-all-feathers are preened and replaced during the year,,i am only concerned when i see a concentrated variety-on the ground--though it may not depend on the season but environment may play a role in triggering replacement,..sincerely james waller:eek:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
mine are in the same condition, looks like a bunch of ragga muffins, in a few weeks they should be in feather, I can see the tail feathers starting to grow longer when mine are flying.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Mine seem to molt different sections at a time, probably because of the energy it takes to grow new feathers. Be sure to offer extra baths to help the new plumage desheath and high fat seeds for extra gloss!

G

·
yeah molting is a slow process for some birds and the older they get the slower it seems to go ..its either that or they are having pillows fights all day and night :eek:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Slowly Regrowing Tail Feathers?

I've been helping take care of the homers at a neighbor's loft while he's in hospital, and have noticed that one of the pigeons has moulted all the tail feathers at once, and they seem to be very slow coming in (it's been about 2 weeks since I first noticed the short tail). How long do they usually take to regrow?

These pigeons have not been flying free, so s/he's not at risk from predators. The other birds don't pick on him/her any more than the others, and s/he is sitting eggs with a partner... in a mixed coop of what may be "extra" or retired birds; they have not been in training this year or last. In the coop there are box perches but not nesting boxes, so some of the cocks have claimed their zones around the perimeter of the floor, and steal discarded feathers from each other's hoards. :rolleyes: :p

I've advised the main pigeon custodian (who says he doesn't know much about birds, and just follows the instructions he's been given) that we'll need some dummy eggs in there, pronto... ;)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi,

All over Noddy my dove's head are white pins, is this moulting? Linda my other dove doesn't have this happening...I'm not at my place so don't have a cam to take a pic :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh geez.. same here...
I thought she was plucking @[email protected]
well.. that is a relief...
since they don't look like actual plucked feathers....

time to stock up on fatty seeds, and more bird bath supplies :p

·
Registered
90 Posts
nope, scratch that, I'm a BAD owner.
I got them a new waterer and they were so scared of it they wouldn't even eat! spent all their time out in the aviary. My guys may not have been moulding, they may have been freaking out!

They seem happier now that I've gotten rid of the water monster.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts