Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found a pigeon Sunday November 8, that had been stuck by a car on the right wing and face. We rushed him to the SPCA, where they informed us that they'd euthanize him because of the injuries. We requested a few moments to say our good-byes and decided to clean his face using a little water. To everyone's surprise he tried to drink and after we picked up a dropper he actually drank some water.
The girl at the SPCA told use that if we left him there he'd have no choice but if we took him home and hand-fed him, he might have a chance.
Since then we have used a syringe to feed (Tropicana power) and water to him.
Yesterday our landlord found out we had a pigeon in the apartment, and pointed out the restrictions on our lease, giving us till this week-end to remove the him.
We need to find a loving home for him, because everyone deserves a second chance.
He as a bruised right wing and the a part of his scalp as been removed, making it difficult to open his eyes. He needs to be hand-fed and has a healthy appetite with regular bowel movements. When in sunlight he grooms himself and stands tall.
His location is Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
I'm borrowing a camera this afternoon and will post pictures later today.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for caring for this needy bird.

Is he not able to eat or drink by himself? You can hand feed frozen corn and peas (thawed and drained) and wild bird seed.

I'm moving your thread to the adoption forum.

I sure hope you can find him a loving home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Pigeon that won't quit.

How is the bird doing? Can you post pictures? I also rescued a bird with similar problems with a wing. Please let me know if you found him a home, thanks!
The bird improving and he's still in need of a home. Here are the pictures.
If the images do not display, below is the link to the photo album here at Pigeon Talk.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/album.php?albumid=997

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
oooh poor guy, he looks like he is suffering, is he too swollen to open his eyes?? can you get your hands on any metacam (anti inflammatory and pain reliever)?? is he eating?? how do his poops look?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Keep the scalp moist or hydrated if you can. Feathers can then re-grow over the spot, possibly (cell migration).

We rescued a young squeaker pigeon ("Mr. Fifty," found in 2006 on my wife's 50th birthday). Couldn't eat because of the PMV/paramyxovirus which caused him to turn his head upside down and miss seeds when he pecked. We hand-fed him 6 weeks, kept him in a pet carrier. Then he flew off, because we, too, couldn't keep pigeons in our small apartment. His voice changed while we had him, he became a "teenager" interested in the females, and my wife saw him a year later not too far away, acting like any normal male pigeon. He always had a bald spot as far as I know, even though i kept it moist, but it may have grown closed a bit. Because his scalp had already dried when I found him, he looked like someone expressing surprise or interest when they raise their eyebrows: a very cute expression. He was able to close his eyes. I have posted on him before. I missed him when he was gone, even though I had another rescue at the time, Wieteke, hand-raised from a three-week-old baby.

Good luck! With good nutrition, and not too much stress, he has a good chance to recover. Hope you find a good home for him (I am in Antwerp now, formerly in Cologne the past 27 years. Belgium is famous for pigeon fanciers).

Larry

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
His scalp is just split and skin covers the eyes. If you apply antibiotical cream on the bare area it will start healing and skin will pull back slowely and eyes will open.
Couple of weeks and he will be like new.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank-you for all the tips. We'll start moistening his scalp right away.
Does it matter the type of antibacterial cream, or is their one especially for birds?
He's not always squatting, the camera and visitor might have scared him.
When the sun hits him he's upright and walking a bit. He opens his right eye, but the eye hole is a little lower then normal. We opened the lid of his left eye and the eye looks find, the skin is what's keeping him from opening the eye himself.
He's starting to peck at food but as yet been unable to eat any.
We feed him till he pulls away from us, usually about 20ml per meal.
Again thank-you for the support.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Poor baby, thanks for saving him and helping him. I wish your landlord was more sympathetic. I hope you can find a home for him. You may want to go to Starlingtalk.net and post on that form also. I know there are a couple member in Canada. It can't hurt to post everywhere you can. min

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
How is the bird doing? Can you post pictures? I also rescued a bird with similar problems with a wing. Please let me know if you found him a home, thanks!
What about this person? Also, maybe a moderator could put your location in the title. Please let your landlord know you're doing all you can to find a home. Thank you very much for caring for him, he should heal up just fine and feel much better in a few weeks.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hope you can find someone. I am to far away and have limited space.
I do have one adopted feral that came home with my flock.

You are a good egg, Mike.:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Oh the poor baby. Yes, maybe if you explain to your landlord that you are trying to find him a home, he will give you more time. I wouldn't think just one little bird would matter all that much to him. I hope he heals, and that you can find him a home. He certainly deserves it. Thanks for trying for him. Right now, you're all he's got.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
amal and lovelyflight are both looking for a place to care for thier birds, you may want to consider contacting them, maybe your injured guy can go also
i found someone in ottowa , super nice people and they will be released in a big group
i spoke with debra haas at the wild bird care center
the address is
734 moody drive
phone is 613-828-2849
you don't need to call first but you may want to call when you get close, she said it's kind of hard to find.
they are open 7 days a week from 8-4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
LovelyFlight and amal will take him to a wild bird care center.
From the bottom of our hearts we would like to thank altgirl35, Charis, Trees Grey, Alienbaby, buenDia and all the other, marvelous, beautiful people at Pigeon Talk (And PnA), for their support and help in finding a home for this handful of feathers who unwillingly came into our lives and quickly won our hearts.
From him and the both of us to all of you a great Big Hug!:D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts