Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again. Sorry about more stupid questions, I'm still learning about birds. Echo still seems to be doing well, he is eating really well and his poop looks healthy. He has put on a bit more weight and is heading towards 400g (he was only about 250g when I found him)

He is however really aggressive, he pecks and pulls my skin a lot, he fans his tail out and coos at me and when I come home from work and go to speak to him he fluffs up his feathers and shudders for a few seconds. I read that this can be caused by excitement or fear but he doesn't seem to be scared of me as he will happily sit near me when I talk to him and he will come over to me just to peck at me.

I don't mind the biting if it is just him letting off steam but I don't want him to be unhappy.

Also what treats can I give him to eat? I have been offering him peanuts in his food a couple of times a week because he was very underweight so is there anything else healthy that pigeons really like to eat?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
He is viewing you as the intruder in his space, that's why he is attacking you. All normal behaviour. It really hurts when they get hold of your ears. Happens to me all the time.

They also love hemp and safflower seeds. You can also offer some greenery like spinach. My pigeons love it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply, I'm glad it is normal behaviour.

I have been giving him greens but I will get some safflower seeds for him too. If I am quiet he will eat out of my hand, so if I offer him something really nice maybe he will learn to trust me a bit more.

This morning he came over to the door when I fed him and seemed happy to stay there when I was talking to him, I just feel bad that he is now my pet when he used to be wild. He also slaps me with his wings sometimes (even the injured one) if he feels like it.

He got hold of the skin between my fingers yesterday and that was surprisingly painful. I keep reptiles so I have been bitten by things with teeth but I was amazed at how effective beaks are at hurting human flesh. :LOL:

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Get him a female, one that is also handicapped. At least then you know he has the best of both worlds. Security, food and female company.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been looking into that.
Although I am 99% sure he is male if he did turn out to be a female could two girls live together?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Yes two females will bond, two males won't. Have you put down a mirror for him to check his behaviour? This will keep him occupied.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you again, I will start trying to find him a disabled friend and order him a mirror.

I wasn't sure if you could give male birds mirrors, my experience is with reptiles and if you show male iguanas a mirror they go absolutely mental!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
A male pigeon will also attack his mirror image where females often won't. If the mirror upsets him too much, then rather remove it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, of course. That may give me another hint about his gender too. I saw that some people give their pigeons toys so I have ordered a tiny xylophone for birds so he might like that too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Echo now has a mirror and a xylophone. He was quite interested in the xylophone and jumped down to look at it straight away.

Another question - I know pigeons moult but was wondering how many feathers they lose because Echo seems to have lost a lot of them. Most of them are small but he has lost a few bigs ones too, he isn't looking too scruffy and I have checked him for lice and mites and can't find any (I have treated him for lice just in case).

He is doing a lot more strong flapping, he can now jump really well and can fly about three feet horizontally. The feathers where his wounds were have grown back too so, although I don't think the feather loss is affecting him, I am still a bit concerned.

I am sorry about all the questions. Echo is my first bird and I've only had him since April 10th. I am reading all I can find about pigeons so, hopefully, I can stop asking dumb things soon. :)

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
They can lose a lot of feathers, but you will notice the new feathers developing when they are in molt. Glad to hear his flying is improving.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Echo seems to like his mirror and his xylophone.
He likes to look at himself but he doesn't seem to be getting angry or aggressive with it. He walks on the xylophone a lot ( he doesn't have to, it's not in his way) and seems to like the sound his claws make on it. Thank you for all the advice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Echos' new feathers seem to be a different colour from his old ones. He seems to be turning much more brown than grey and now has a bit of a "mix and match" thing going on on his chest and wings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do birds need to bath?
I've seen loads of videos online and also pigeons in real life that love bathing but Echo really doesn't seem to like water at all.

Now all his wounds have healed up I have been offering him a little cat litter tray to bath in but he stands next to it and preens himself.

I have tried to lightly mist him with a reptile sprayer (not on his face just on his body) but he won't get in the water. Obviously, I'm not going to force him to bathe, I'm guessing he will just do it if he wants to but, at the moment he is sitting as far away from the pool as he can giving it evil looks.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Put the bath in a nice sunny spot on the floor. Pigeons normally love to bath. You can play with the water by using your fingers. He might get interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts