Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone! I found beautiful morning dove almost unconscious under my sliding door window this morning. I have bird crash prevention stickers all over my house windows but accidents sill happen due so many birds that come by my house and they have to escape from the Hawk that comes by everyday. Well, I can see from my window, he crashed pretty hard. He was upside down when I found him. He can't fly and it seems his wings and legs might be broken.
I put him in a box with an electric blanket on low setting with water and food for now. I usually bring all my injured friends to the Wildlife Rehabilitation center but last 2 birds that I rescued were euthanized by them immediately because they don' t like to keep the birds that don't have good chance of survival. I understand they are overwhelmed by number of injured animals...
Here is the question; I would like to see if I could rehabilitate him in my house if I can. He can't stand up at all right now. He is not bleeding and his eyes are very clean and clear. What can I do to assist his quick recovery from here??

Please advise.
Thank you!

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, it'd be better to keep him cool rather than hot under those circumstances during the first 24 hours.

Pidgey

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, Pigdey! Thank you for your quick response.

I will remove the electric blanket now..Anything else I should do now??

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Hi Hato -- I'm in NJ too (central - near Rutgers). Considering the wind today I'm not surprised you have this kind of injury. If you do strongly suspect broken legs and wings try to keep him/her as imobile as possible (might be common sense but thought I'd mention it anyway). And might be more comfortable with a towel ring/donut for him/her to sit on to take pressure off the legs. Can you post a picture? Hopefully s/he's more stunned than anything. I'm sure you'll get more/better advice from other's who have more experience, but wanted to offer my assistance since we're at least in the same state :) Dez

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Let him rest for now. Any further stress will only harm him. A cool, quiet, semi-dark room for now is the best. Handle him as little as possible and wait and see if he perks up. Also if you have any other pets keep them away from him. If he makes it through the first 24 hours he has a good chance of survival.

Reti

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dezirrae, Thank you! I am in Monrow Township not far from Rutgers.
You are right, really windy today...

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Hi Hato

I would also remove the water from his area since birds can drown if they are uncoordinated.

The towel donut that Dezirrae mentioned is perfect in this type situation. Make it so his body just nestles in the hole to help prop him upright and let him rest. They can get knocked out when hitting a glass but if you have seen no blood so far his chances may be better than you think.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, Lady Tarheel.

OK, I am going to remove the water bowl. Should I try to give him water later on?? or leave him alone for 24 hours.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
You'll just have to see how he gets on. If it looks like he's got his wits about him, then give him some and if he drinks then take it back away for a few hours and see how he continues.

Pidgey

·
Registered
984 Posts
Might want to use shot glasses for water and seed, put them real close and then take them away to avoid spills and drowning.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello, Everyone.
Here is the update. He doesn't look good. I took a video to show his condition but it is hard to make him out so I decided to not to post the video.

He is not moving well... I am going to try to give him water later and see..

Should I bring him to the Wild Life rehabilitation center??? I can bring him in tomorrow morning before I go to work. I hate to see him suffering...

His eyes are still very clear and aware of the surroundings...

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, when they crash like that, they can be in bad shape for days. If there is swelling inside the skull, then anything can happen from death to recovery and there's no way to predict it. I had one once that we named "Thumper" because she'd smacked into a window very like you're describing. The store where they were keeping her when I picked her up said she'd been just laying there out of it for that whole day. She was just starting to come back to consciousness after several hours. It was a couple of days before she was anything near half normal and after a week or two, she would sometimes fight with the towel she was standing on. Yeah, she was a little bit messed up in the head. She could eat and drink just fine but not for that first couple of days.

Pidgey

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello, Pidgey. It sounds like him. He was just laying in the box for the first 7 hours or so. He just started to stand up for himself a little bit. Do you think I should keep him in my home to rehabilitate or bring him to the wildlife center? I know I can give him more attention. What do you think, Pidgey?? I want what is best for him.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Phil puts them in cages with padding on the ceiling so that they don't bump their heads too hard when they get startled. That's one of the things that eventually happens with them when you're rehabbing them--they get strong enough to return to their normal instincts and they might launch off when you startle them, which happens quite a bit. I've heard that doves tame fairly easily but I've never kept one long enough to see that--I usually pass them off to a dove person that I know.

Pidgey

1 - 20 of 180 Posts