·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
They are right, most likely

A visible mosaic pigeon will show at least two colors that would not normally be seen together, such as red and black, ash red and blue, dilute and intense and so on. They seem to defy logic and are regarded as two sperm fertilizations of a single egg. Some are probably just that.

Almond pigeons are an exception to the rule and could be argued to be mosaic but are widely accepted as "somewhat normal" because we see so many of them. It is very often in almond breeding that mosaics are found but are only considered "mosaic" when the colors are clumped together in large patches that are not consistent with almond pigeons. I call these "almond mosaics", maybe this will catch on. :)

These birds (yours) only show things that can normally be seen together and mixed with white. White may make things interesting or prettier but it has no relevance to the indication of a mosaic.

Bill

·
Registered
319 Posts
No, they are not mosaics as has been stated above. However, I would most definitely encourage you to keep detailed notes of the babies that you raise from these birds and their kids. The Lahore marking is apparently a combination of three marking - helmet; shield; and the bellneck. It would be extremely interesting for you to have a basic pigeon pic - just outline on a piece of paper (right and left sides) and fill in the color of the babies as they arrive. It might help us determine exactly how the various pied mutations interact with each other.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everybody that replied.
They are definitely interestingly marked.
The colors, except for on the head, are pretty clearly divided down the lateral line.
Most pieds I have seen are more bilaterally symetrrical or randomly marked
I picked them up because I have a pretty good market, for pretty pigeons, for the pet trade.
Keith

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hmm. I think they look mosaic. The thing that kinda deters me from saying that is that you have two pigeons that look the same. I think it's very unlikey that one would get TWO mosaics..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts