Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a big problem. When the sun sets, those pestering mosquitoes start coming out and I would see them bugging my birds and I'm afraid they might catch sickness. I was wondering if you guys have ways on keeping the mosquitoes away from them?

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Hey, I have a big problem. When the sun sets, those pestering mosquitoes start coming out and I would see them bugging my birds and I'm afraid they might catch sickness. I was wondering if you guys have ways on keeping the mosquitoes away from them?
I have my entire back yard sprayed regularly with a mosquito barrier. I also have those pest strips in the loft, I dip my birds. I have heard that those bug zappers which are turned on at night can also be very helpful.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
They also have those new mosquito coils you can actually wear, I wonder if you could buy a bunch and put them around the loft? If they're safe for children they should (hopefully!!) be safe for your birds as well.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, for now I bought those pest strips. It will be temporary, until I decide which one works best.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Kevin, there is also a racer in Chico, CA, who puts a little bit of "flower of sulpher in his feed, as he states he learned from a pigeon master years ago in europe, that the residue on their beak will keep mosquitos away, as the fragrance annoys them. There is also a loft dressing that has sulphur in it, but it is quite fragrant.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah, I've seen that on youtube I think. When he was mixing his feed right? Is his user name DENNISWEINRENCH or something like that?

His birds are awesome by the way, it's his own strain called 'Blue Demons'. All his videos are awesome!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Oh yeah, I've seen that on youtube I think. When he was mixing his feed right? Is his user name DENNISWEINRENCH or something like that?

His birds are awesome by the way, it's his own strain called 'Blue Demons'. All his videos are awesome!
Yes, I've seen several of Dennis" videos. I was thinking about putting mosquito netting around the aviary. The loft windows are screened, so the only way in would be through the aviary, so when the sun goes down, or on a rainy dismal day, the kind where mosquitoes are around, I put a half screen in the window to the aviary, and don't let the birds use it. So, I figured that if I put the netting around the aviary, in a way that I can pull it back on good days, I could still leave it open on those days.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm also lookin into getting some kind of mosquito netting, I'm just canvassing right now where I can get it cheap :p

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Yes, Dennis Weinreich is his name. His videos on youtube are very good. I corresponded with him a year ago. Very nice guy, and as you can tell from his videos, he truly loves his birds. I especially like the one that shows De Byter, his loft protector bird. That bird is aggressive!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree, he's one angry pigeon so don't mess with him. LOL!
De Byter's babies look very beautiful too.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Actually in the book:
The Widowhood Book - A Complete Guide to the Best Methods of Racing Pigeons ... By C. A. E. Osman
it is mentioned this mixture with Flowers of sulphur where dosage is to each kg of grain, one tablespoon of cod liver oil and two tablespoons of flowers of sulphur.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Find the source of mosquito breeding ground and destroy it. Check for stagnant water or collected water that doesn't drain right.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rod - Yeah, turns out my neighbor had a tub of water on his side yard, I spoke to him about my mosquito problem and he checked to see if it was coming from that. And it was. The tub of water had a cover with a hole the size of a quarter, they still managed to use that. Sneaky pests.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
We've always had a bunch of mosquitos due to our pond, creek (which ranges from deeper than I am tall, to not even an inch deep), neighbor's unkept pond and often tall-grassed pasture, and the woods surrounding us on one side. All of that helps keep the mosquitos happy. Luckily, we do have our share of toads, frogs, bats, swifts, fish, and dragonflies ;) So they help us keep them under control. I've never seen them bother my birds, so I'm not that concerned. We had the occasional blue jay die in the nearby towns, from west nile, but that was YEARS ago. Plus I think the mosquitos are too busy hampering me :rolleyes: They must really like the taste of my blood. Even repellent doesn't help me.
We do keep fly strips around the lofts and we also have a bug zapper (if it even works anymore, LOL). I wouldn't like the idea of spraying or having any kind of repellents near the loft because of the smell. I've heard that if you eat a lot of garlic, it repels bugs from us. I know it's good for parasites in birds, so maybe that applies to mosquitos as well.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We've always had a bunch of mosquitos due to our pond, creek (which ranges from deeper than I am tall, to not even an inch deep), neighbor's unkept pond and often tall-grassed pasture, and the woods surrounding us on one side. All of that helps keep the mosquitos happy. Luckily, we do have our share of toads, frogs, bats, swifts, fish, and dragonflies ;) So they help us keep them under control. I've never seen them bother my birds, so I'm not that concerned. We had the occasional blue jay die in the nearby towns, from west nile, but that was YEARS ago. Plus I think the mosquitos are too busy hampering me :rolleyes: They must really like the taste of my blood. Even repellent doesn't help me.
We do keep fly strips around the lofts and we also have a bug zapper (if it even works anymore, LOL). I wouldn't like the idea of spraying or having any kind of repellents near the loft because of the smell. I've heard that if you eat a lot of garlic, it repels bugs from us. I know it's good for parasites in birds, so maybe that applies to mosquitos as well.
I agree. My mom just told me to buy some sprays and I told her that it might be harmful for the birds. So we bought a LOT of fly strips, we have one bug zapper hanging next to the loft.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Find the source of mosquito breeding ground and destroy it. Check for stagnant water or collected water that doesn't drain right.
Kinda hard to do when you have neighbors who just don't care about their property. I go around changing the water in birdbaths in our yard evry few days, and check for anything that water could accumulate in, but the house next door has had a blocked drainpipe for the last 2 years, and the rental company that owns it just doesn't care. We had told them, but nothing. You can take care of your property, but ya can't control the neighbors, and who knows what mosquito water is lurking in their yards. LOL.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Go to your local pet store or anywhere you can buy yourself what are called "feeder fish" BUT you have to get the rosie red minnow "feeder Fish" not the goldfish.

get yourself about 5 bucks worth and dump them in the pond.
The rosie red minnow will eat the mosquito larva before they can hatch out and start to fly.
They are also VERY easy to breed in a small 10 gallon fish tank.
They do wonders if you have a pond with a mosquito problem.
Hope this helps out

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Treating "Feeder Fish:"
The only downside to these fish is that, since they are sold as "feeder fish" or "bait," they usually have parasites and other health problems due to overcrowding and poor care. Medications and good care can reverse this. Pick apparently healthy fish with which to begin. To treat a newly bought batch of rosy reds, I used Aquari-Sol by Aquarium Products, Inc. at half dose (I have soft water) for four or five days in a 5 gallon quarantine tank where they remained for two weeks. I vacuumed water off the bare bottom daily and used a corner filter. Salt levels of about 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons were used initially but diluted with the daily water changes. Extend the quarantine if any fish die.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts