Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
When I was a lot younger I looked something like the young lady holding the bird--it just too bad I don't have her money that she bought the bird with--tooo baddd..c.hert

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here is an interesting gamble. If I figured it correctly, it is approximately $131,692.00 USD.

96,000 Euro for a young bird! Wow! Somebody has too much money.

http://www.pipa.be/en/newsandarticles/news/spectacle-thorn-most-expensive-youngster-ever-sold
Looks like Koopman was the underbidder?

I witnessed the sale of Birdy at the Million Dollar Race a few years ago. Birdy then sold for about $100,000 US ...

I got the feeling that it was more ego than anything else.... the guy was sipping wine and bidding ;)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
NO pigeon is worth that much money. That lady is so stupid. seriously go spend your money on alot of good birds rather then over 125,000 on one bird. that guy dosent have the worlds most amazing pigeons that they would be so valuble. i bet you could buy a bird for at most 2,000 that would be as good. and if i had that kind of money i would not spend it in a pigeon i would do somthing SMART with it or donate
If they paid that much at an auction that means there's atleast one other person who thinks the bird is worth almost that much. So I guess the bird is worth it to them. And what good would a bunch of good 2,000 dollar birds do for them just overcrowed their coop. Your dealing with ppl that have the best of the best already they aren't gonna improve their stock by adding a bunch of garbage they gotta go for what they think is the best and if the best cost that much they are willing to pay it. At the same time some pigeon ppl just like to collect the big named birds so they have some kinda prestige in the sport. It's just like any other collectors. Take art collectors they spend millions on paintings I know I would never spend millions on a painting but maybe if I ever won the lotto I'd spend a 100 grand on a pigeon I really thought would improve my loft.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
AMAZING!!! Can one bird really be worth that much? min
When you have lots of one particular commodity (including money), its value decreases, thats "behavioral economics" :D when you have tons and tons of whisky with you, you might give off some bottles but if you hadn't have access to a peg for years, you know that single bottle you got is not going anywhere :)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
The most expensive yearling or under that I've bought was probably about $25, LOL. Such a huge price difference.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I got you beat MaryofExeter for I paid 175.00 one time at a pigeon auction for a racing pigeon...--wish I had the money now---but I do have a pretty bird...c.hert

·
Registered
457 Posts
That is why Koopman and Veenstra don't come to us for pigeons...we go to them...

It seems a lot of folks on this forum are smarter than the likes of Koopman and Veenstra. Maybe it's a stupid idea to buy a pigeon for $100,000 and sell babies for $10,000-$20,000 each....

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the truth is. One mans fortune is anouther mans lunch money. And I am not exagerating.

Here is a question for you. If you only had 20K in your savings account, would you pay 20K for your daughters wedding, or spend 20K for Sure Bets' best son?

(P.S. Your daughter is likely as not, to just be married to "that guy" for two or three years. You could sell the offsrping from Sure Bets' best son for a thousand a piece easily)

Now, what was your answer again?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well, the truth is. One mans fortune is anouther mans lunch money. And I am not exagerating.

Here is a question for you. If you only had 20K in your savings account, would you pay 20K for your daughters wedding, or spend 20K for Sure Bets' best son?

(P.S. Your daughter is likely as not, to just be married to "that guy" for two or three years. You could sell the offsrping from Sure Bets' best son for a thousand a piece easily)

Now, what was your answer again?
Of course the normal man would spend it on the wedding, as would I. But, the man who is spending $20,000 for a pigeon doesn't "only had 20K in your savings account". He likely has another $20,000 or more in there.

The man who needs to make a decision to either pay for his daughters wedding, or a racing pigeon, either has a bad relationship with his daughter...or, is truely stupid and doesn't have his priorities straight. That man has other mental issues (gambling addiction, spending addiction, etc) to deal with.

Now, assuming a "normal" man, who makes a decent living, is a pigeon racer. He makes enough money to pay the bills and has a little leftover every month he saves. Breeding season is coming up. He has been sending birds to the races for the past few years and has about broke even. He has been thinking about purchasing a cock to put over his hens to maybe up the percentage to get in the bigger money. He see's a son of (_______) on auction. This loft has been winning consistantly with those birds for some time. The bid is running close to $4000. The "normal" man has budgeted $5000 max he would spend.

In this case, would it be "stupid" for him to spend that much money, knowing where he's at now and what his goal is?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
How do they prove that the babies actually came from that expensive bird? Do they do blood test? Is that a stupid question? I'm new remember!! min

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This is all so fascinating. I'd like to ask a related series of questions:

Let's say you are looking for a pair of birds that can 1) breed babies that can win distance races at the combine level and 2) breed babies that can be sold based on this pair's pedigree and reputation.

Based on what I'm reading in this thread, a $100k bird would most likely do that. But obviously that's out of reach of most of us. So in more realistic terms, what kind of money would it take to do what I'm asking (a realistic range of prices), and what loft or specific strain would YOU turn to? Would you recommend to buy a proven pair (I would expect them to cost more$$, but then why would someone want to sell them?), or would you buy babies of super-birds and hope they work out? How many generations down from a super-bird is too far for what I'm asking?

Do you look at bird's mentioned in another recent thread like from Bob Durha's loft?

http://www.racingpigeonauction.com/Auction/XcAPViewInCat.asp?ID=262

And for the record, the daughter's wedding comes first ;)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
you can buy as good of a bird as that lady bought for 1,000$ at most you can buy top quality birds for 1,000 a pair and beat that lady.
I have no doubt that a good pair can be bought or had for $50-$1000 that can raise babies to beat many lofts out there. But it's the second part of my question that I think takes it another level. The model pair I'm asking about would need to have a pedigree and/or reputation and record that would drive sales of their babies right off the bat.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Mindy. A DNA test is possible I would assume. I have heard of it being done. But in most cases, 99.999% of the time, it is based on the reputation of the seller.

Now I can see taking a 130K bird and using a boat load of pumpers to raise the eggs from said bird. Then selling all of those babies for several thousand dollars a piece, and eventually making a profit.

But imagine the purchaser of this 131K young bird, actually racing it. It won't happen. It will only be used to produce babies for sale. I doubt any babies from this bird will even be raced by the new owner. Just sold on its pedigree and the historic factor.

As to the wedding and bird scenario I presented. I was not interjecting "real life" into the equation. Because sure, it is doubtful that if someone only has 20K in their savings account, that they would spend it on ANY one thing. But the question is too show that people make dumb choices all of the time. Spending large amounts of money on weddings is just dumb. Spending large amounts of money on pigeons is also dumb, but has the "possibility" of producing an income and even making a profit. That makes the wedding expenditure the "more" dumb idea financially, of the two choices.

I actually think the buyer of this young bird, will make a profit over the long haul. But it is a gamble. What happens with that "investment" after some birds are bought by someone in Japan or China for big amounts of money, and they actually fly the darn things and they don't do any better than the guys other birds?

Then the price goes down. But if the prodigy go on to win, like Sure Bets have, then there is money to be made.

There is also the "I own this" factor. Just haing the bragging rights in someones circle of acquantices that you have the most expensive "this or that", can mean a lot to a certain type of personality. That is why some of the really rich spend a little more on their daughters wedding than the other guy did last month. Before you know it, they are speding four million dollars for a lavish wedding that becomes a divorce in a couple of years. It ain't about having a great wedding. It is about surpassing the Jones's.

Silly stuff no matter how you look at it. All of the money spent on weddings. ANYONE that spends a half million dollars for a wedding dress, IMO, has mental and/or emotional problems. Even IF a half million to them is no big amount. It is still silly.

So. Buying this bird is not the worst expenditure of money I have ever seen.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I want to give my opinion on big weddings, SAVE YOUR MONEY. I have had a couple good size weddings and both of them didn't work out. But the last one, we walked up a mountain in Sedona, AZ and got hitched by a new age Priest. Probably only spent $100 dollars and still married to that one. Actually my advice is DON'T get married, live together and live happily ever after. If I had to do over again, I wouldn't probably get married at all. For some reason I think people are more willing to work at the relationshipe if they aren't married, probably because they know either one can leave anytime. Its to easy to get a divorce nowadays and remember 50% of marriage don't work out. But good luck.

Conditionfreak, thank you for the explanation. I have learned a lot from you on here. min

1 - 20 of 39 Posts