Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mother runt pigeon with a baby pigeon that is 2 wks old. The mother all the sudden stopped walking and try to push using her billy. I removed her to a cage and gave her antibiotics for 3 days. She looked healthy and eats and stands up well. I put her back in the loft and she did it again and won't walk. The other pigeons we bitting her as well. I put her back in the cage. Any idea why is that?!!!! Or what to do?!!!!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Possibly egg-laying paralysis ? Do a quick search for that here on the Forum and see if the symptoms seem to match up.

3 days of antibiotic is certainly not enough to eradicate a bacterial infection. When she was returned to the loft did the problem come back immediately, or after a day or so ?

How is the baby doing ?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Sounds like 'egg paralysis' to me also.
There is a condition called 'egg paralysis' in hens that recently layed eggs or are about to lay eggs. The egg presses on the nerves causing temporary paralysis of the legs, similar to 'sciatica' in people.
She needs to be confined in a carrier or cage, set on a heating pad (set on LOW, and covered with a towel). You can make a 'donut' out of a towel to keep her from trying to move around, and place a small crock of food and water within her reach. She needs some calcium (oyster shell from a pet store). In a pinch, you can break off small pieces of 'tums' (they are calcium) and give her a small piece once a day until you can get some oyster shell.
Rest, heat and calcium help clear this up in a couple days. She needs to be on a good diet with plenty of oyster shell to try to avoid this in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, I will try that, once I put her back in the loft the symptoms came back right away. And the baby is doing fine. That dad is feeding him well and he is in a good shape. Little smaller than the others but doing well

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Where is the mate?
What did you medicate with? Did you stop the med? That is one of the worst things you can do is to give meds for too short a time, and stop. The bacteria will become stronger and build a resistance to the drug that way.
Do the birds normally have calcium available, and access to unfiltered direct sunlight?
She could be ready to lay again and is therefore having problems, but when you brought her in and medicated, she did better. How long on the antibiotic did it take to show an improvement?
Also do your birds have mites?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
The only thing which strikes me is that the symptoms returned immediately after being returned to the original nest. Usually, when one ends antibiotics too soon, it takes around 12-24 hours or so for the bird to become symptomatic again.

Could have been that, I mean if the Pigeon improved dramatically on antibiotic, then it could have been the cessation of the meds that did it.

I am no expert on egg paralysis at all....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The mate still in the loft with the baby. Baby is healthy and doing good.
I am still giving her the med. I feed my birds oyster shells in regular basses and they have good ventilation and enough exposure to the sun. The improvement took less than 48 hrs. She still in the cage now. I am giving her the anti abiotic and extra calcium. Looking at her today she still has the problem. She walks around the cage and trip occasionally.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is she eating and drinking? What do her droppings look like?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
What antibiotic are you giving? Calcium cannot be given with some antibiotics.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
The mate still in the loft with the baby. Baby is healthy and doing good.
I am still giving her the med. I feed my birds oyster shells in regular basses and they have good ventilation and enough exposure to the sun. The improvement took less than 48 hrs. She still in the cage now. I am giving her the anti abiotic and extra calcium. Looking at her today she still has the problem. She walks around the cage and trip occasionally.
Unstable on their feet can be the symptom of a couple things.........paratyphoid, or toxin of some sort (spoiled feed). Not using the legs and 'walking with their wings' is usually a sign of 'egg paralysis'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it has been almost a week, I put her back in the original nest today and she seems to be doing okay. Time will tell:) I have to hand feed the baby now since the dad quite feeding him and she won't feed him. Thanks for all the help everyone

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I would at least get a dropping sample checked to see if she has something that could be taken care of.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Good idea, that would be a pretty cheap test...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
A vet should be able to do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts