Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I have Three Youngster Classic old Frills that were born around Dec 21-24 and they are moulting. What could be the reasoning, i do leave the light on till about 9-10 at night. One older hen is doing it tooooo, There is a young homer but he doesnt appear to be into moult. The moulting is really bad around there heads. Does anyone know what could cause this.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It seems like almost all of my birds are in a moult also. I thought it WAS moulting season???:confused:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
It looks like my birds are starting to moult too, I have a lot of the tiny fluffy feathers all in the loft.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For some reason I have Three Youngster Classic old Frills that were born around Dec 21-24 and they are moulting. What could be the reasoning, i do leave the light on till about 9-10 at night. One older hen is doing it tooooo, There is a young homer but he doesnt appear to be into moult. The moulting is really bad around there heads. Does anyone know what could cause this.
My young pigeons went through that crazy molt a month ago.
They got rid of all their baby feathers and got in their ultra sexy shiny and reflective neck feathers. But man were they ugly for a while.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well if you breed around December which is still winter. The days are still short so your birds are pretty much some what in the darkening system, and young birds will always shed their young feathers and replace it with their mature feathers, adding the dark it induce the molt more.

·
Registered
503 Posts
That means your inside birds get less sun than the outside birds, it doesn't need to be total dark, anything that will block the sun i.e trees, curtain, or shed will trick the birds that it's still winter.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well it was just about 60 and sunny a couple days ago and now its like 30 with 2 inches of snow here. I think my birds are about as tricked as they can get! lol

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Well it was just about 60 and sunny a couple days ago and now its like 30 with 2 inches of snow here. I think my birds are about as tricked as they can get! lol
LOL, We've been in the 60's for a couple weeks (VERY UNUSUAL!) ........Going into the TEENS tonight! 40's for the weekend :( Hope mine haven't lost too many feathers yet!

·
Registered
379 Posts
well good thing you posted that. your birds can have stress from being with a small group. and they do need vitamins for bones because fathers are made from the same materials . good luck i hope your birds term out are write.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Funny .I have a brother and sister born Jan 1st and 3rd. One moulted way more then the other. They have always been together and the same surroundings.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My birds don't molt by the normal/seasonal calendar. Any temperature change (warm/cold) in their environment can trigger a molt. I may see four or five molts a year in my birds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts