Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when do pigeons moult? and what do you need to do for them when they do moult??

thanks

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your interest in your birds needs during molting season. I know it has been talked about alot.

The molt is all year long, March/April-the first flights start to molt, but the main molting period starts in mid July to the beginning of August, it starts at different times in different areas. So far I haven't seen it yet in my loft, just the pom pom feathers.

Your birds should not breed during that time, and the protein content in their diet can be about 15 to 20 percent during this time. They should have as varied a diet as possible so they get their amino acid profile, a little bit of crunched up organic dog food added to the seed will supply a little bit of meat protein at this time. I also add about 2 percent organic whole grain brown rice to the pigeon mix, but I do that every season. This gives them B complex vitamins. brewers yeast is also another good source of B vitamins.

Oil containing seed such as sunflower and hemp, and safflower should be given a little extra of, also flax is a great addition at this time. Go easy as it will give them watery poo's.

Don't forget the grit mixtures, it should be varied too, as well as greens. Kale, spinach, carrots, and endive can be given in small quantities. I would add a bit more barley to the seed, and I do give some birds alfalfa tabs, chlorella and even a drop of cod liver on the seed once a month, as that is very beneficial.

Supple your pigeons with plenty of fresh clean water daily, and make sure to continue the preventives such as ACV and garlic in the water. Garlic is especialy helpful as it improves the quality of the feathers and the powder.

Let them have access to fresh bath's almost daily and be sure to put the bath salts in there, even a bit of apple cider vinegar once in a while doesn't hurt in the tub.

I would also inlcude probiotics as they will be extremely beneficial in this stressful time when gut bacteria can become depleted.

Please feel free to add, as I'm sure everyone has different programs to meet their birds needs in the different seasons.

·
Registered
196 Posts
"Oil containing seed such as sunflower and hemp, and safflower should be given a little extra of, also flax is a great addition at this time. Go easy as it will give them watery poo's. "

Thats good info , Treesa . I noticed that a few times with my birds lately and it freaked me out , I'm thinking OH NO ... now what ? Because their poo is normally just like the pictures in the forum of perfect poo :D ( I'm a constant poo checker LOL ) . BUT , lately I've been giving them the little brown flax seeds , they love it and scarf it down . That explains the ocasional watery poo I see .

Learning something new all the time ;)

Hambone

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi Trees

I only came acros Chlorella on the net today.:eek:
It seems that you have first hand experience with it.;)
Could you please tel me a bit more on how and when you use it?:confused:

Bezz
I usually give chlorella (this one is dark green) for rehab if I think the birds need a little variety, it's a super food, especially if I don't know their history-I will give it to them for detox-(if I suspect poisoning)-as it speeds up the cleansing of the bloodstream. Sometimes I will give it to my hens too, but only once in a while. It also seems to have the bonus of controlling odors of the big nesting poops. :p

Chlorella is a super food, rich in chlorophyll, antioxidants, nucleic acids, protein, lipoic acid and natural vitamin B12. It is very high in RNA and DNA and protects against the effects of ultraviolet radiation. The one I use is human grade, it is Japanese chlorella, grown in pure ocean water and sunlight. The Japanese have found a way to protect the cell walls of chlorella when breaking it down to its usable form without losing the nutritional content. It comes in tiny vegetable caps, so it's even easier to give to my birds then the soft gel garlic caps. This is just one more product I have used in addition to my regular regimen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts