Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a n00b when it comes to doves, but I have become quite enamored of them since I rescued a silky dove a couple years ago. Now I live in a place that is frequented by Mourning Doves and their presence gives me great comfort. (I live in Adams Hill, Glendale, CA) We had a nest in the Y of our oak tree right outside the window. I definitely saw one egg a few days ago. There was a jay the other day that was harassing one of the pair. Today I came home to see the nest had either slipped or been pushed down off the Y to a lower level and the egg and dove were gone. One of the doves has just returned and is now sitting in the tree near the empty nest (maybe waiting for its mate?). At one point it even tried to bring a branch to the nest. I understand it is nature - but I want to know - is there anything I can do to nurture a safer nest for them? Some kind of dove house? This one always did seem rather exposed to me...
The picture I included is the dove nest two days ago.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Well here is what I did one time when a pair of dove babies got knocked out of their nest tree by a wind storm in my backyard. I took the bottom of a plastic planter pot. I drilled holes in the bottom and cut it to about 1.5 to 2 inches high to make a dish out of it. I put the actual nest back IN that plastic dish and the babies too and watched the mother fly right to them and sit like nothing happened. They used that nest to this day and it has been over 15 years. So my point is put a nest like that in a bit more secluded spot in tree or bush and see if they move in. They are not cavity nesters and will not use a box or house.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you - I will try that. And I did not know about them not using a box or house so thank you in advance for that. The nest itself it still pretty much intact. This particular dove was sitting near it until dusk then flew away. It returned (assuming it's the same one?) this morning. I have not seen the mate.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I am a n00b when it comes to doves, but I have become quite enamored of them since I rescued a silky dove a couple years ago. Now I live in a place that is frequented by Mourning Doves and their presence gives me great comfort. (I live in Adams Hill, Glendale, CA) We had a nest in the Y of our oak tree right outside the window. I definitely saw one egg a few days ago. There was a jay the other day that was harassing one of the pair. Today I came home to see the nest had either slipped or been pushed down off the Y to a lower level and the egg and dove were gone. One of the doves has just returned and is now sitting in the tree near the empty nest (maybe waiting for its mate?). At one point it even tried to bring a branch to the nest. I understand it is nature - but I want to know - is there anything I can do to nurture a safer nest for them? Some kind of dove house? This one always did seem rather exposed to me...
The picture I included is the dove nest two days ago.
Thanks
The less you interfere the better.. This spot probably was seen by a predator, crows and jays ESP eat eggs and baby birds. It's best they learn and move on to a more hidden nest site.

Man made nest sites that seem to be hidden well are those hanging planters with a nice bushy plant in it under the eaves of a house. They seem to like those and are not seen as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Spirit Wings - yes, I was worried the nest was rather exposed. I will work on getting a planter under the eaves - it's a 1920s house and has some very well hidden spots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts