Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just adopted a pigeon (a texan I was told) from someone who could no longer have animals. He is eating and drinking fine but he has what I'm going to call a growth on the side of his mouth(the corner) and always has some yellow slimy build up on the inside of his mouth near the growth. When I clean it out it looks raw and sometimes bleeds. I use a q-tip and water, nothing harsh, and am very gentle. The person said it was maybe a vitamin deficiency but never resolved. I was told to just clean it out. I'm not sure if that's the case but I would like to know if there is anything I can do to help him. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Possible to post a picture so everyone could get a better idea?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi everyone. I just adopted a pigeon (a texan I was told) from someone who could no longer have animals. He is eating and drinking fine but he has what I'm going to call a growth on the side of his mouth(the corner) and always has some yellow slimy build up on the inside of his mouth near the growth. When I clean it out it looks raw and sometimes bleeds. I use a q-tip and water, nothing harsh, and am very gentle. The person said it was maybe a vitamin deficiency but never resolved. I was told to just clean it out. I'm not sure if that's the case but I would like to know if there is anything I can do to help him. Thanks in advance.
Yes, as mentioned, please post a photo, here's how:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=525049&postcount=15

Sounds like it could be an infection, most likely one called canker (not cancer, aka Trichomoniasis). It's readily treatable, if caught early, with an inexpensive med called Metronidazole. They occasionally do get other infections of the mouth that would need a regular broad spectrum antibiotic to treat. Sometimes they can have both a bacterial infection, which weakens the body, and canker as well, an more opportunistic infection in weakened birds, at these times we treat with both an antibiotic and Metronidazole as well. Be careful scraping off the lesions, there have been instances of birds bleeding to death from a dislodged canker lesion.

Karyn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts