Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier asking advice on how to wean a flock so less come, and how I hope to keep some of my favorites in a coop. I want to ask more specifically about this. Of the 30-40 coming, about 25 prob Ive named and they know their names. I cant even keep all them and I hate it. But I think I can get my husband to agree on less, maybe, hopefully 8-12. Can anyone share if you transitioned ferals from the free world to a coop? Is it cruel to do this? From my pov they hang out chill on my roof anyway all day, but have all the dangers out there, and an enclosure would be safe and theyd just still hang out. Please share if you have any advice on these questions, thanks from my heart

-Im wondering how do I do it, when I cant have them all--how to choose, eg is there any way to tell if maybe one pair would prefer coop life to free?
-Should I choose the ones I know trust me the most, fly to me, sit on my hand/lap etc, even if it seems they dont like it at first?
-I know where most of them now 'live' ie what homes in the neighborhood they stay at the air conditioners on roof. The ones Im thinking of keeping are mate pairs-- is there any way to find out if there are squabs at their roof home?
-And is there a way to help them adjust to enclosed life easier? Are there any pigeon toys / entertaining things I can add to a coop?

-And lastly, Im going to build the coop, Ive been gathering reclaimed pallet wood and have mesh that has very small openings, much smaller than chicken wire, prob 1/8 in or maybe. I plan to have it mainly wood but a mesh covered 'patio' area for them to hang out. I may build some for now, and keep adding on just so I can get an enclosure started.

I think the most area I can give would be width of 6-7 ft, and length could be 10- maybe 15 ft, and height could be 6-7ft. Any advice on the quickest coop idea also a 'quiet' floor suggestion? Also anyone have any tricks to reduce sound / soundproof so neighbors will not get mad?

Thanks for any tips/ knowledge. We are in this together to help these special birds

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
You will never know for sure if the ones you put in the aviary have babies or not. Observe their behaviour after eating. The ones with babies will eat very quick and leave right after eating to feed the babies. They will probably return to feed themselves.

You can always put a trapdoor in the aviary so that you can let them out to free fly during the day. But first they need to get used to being in an closed up environment and recognize this as their home. When you put them inside, keep them there for a month before letting them out. Provide them with nestboxes and get some fake eggs to swop with the real eggs. Only feed them inside the aviary. Problem is that with an open trapdoor, the free ones will probably also enter the aviary for feeding.

Keep the tamest pigeons that are used to you. Surely the neighbours can't complain about any noise, they will be your pets from now on.

You can put some building sand on the floor. Easier for cleaning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts