Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems that i have a problem with the location of the trap used by my white homers. i currently have the trap inside their aviary, and most of the birds eventually learn to use it just fine. however, EVERY single time a young bird weans and begins to venture out of the loft, it is a major struggle for them to learn where the trap is as there is a window above the aviary, and they focus on the window instead of finding their way into the aviary. my question is whether it would be a good idea to move the trap above the aviary in place of the window, as this seems to be more intuitive for the birds, or just seal off the window so they can't see in thus not creating the distraction. will the old birds get used to the new trap location now that they are used to going in through the aviary and then trapping?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I don't quite understand the set up and the question..........do you have pictures of your loft somewhere?
Is the window the window that they use to go in and out of the aviary? I know it's nothing new.........but I'm confused somewhat........:confused:

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
it seems that i have a problem with the location of the trap used by my white homers. i currently have the trap inside their aviary, and most of the birds eventually learn to use it just fine. however, EVERY single time a young bird weans and begins to venture out of the loft, it is a major struggle for them to learn where the trap is as there is a window above the aviary, and they focus on the window instead of finding their way into the aviary. my question is whether it would be a good idea to move the trap above the aviary in place of the window, as this seems to be more intuitive for the birds, or just seal off the window so they can't see in thus not creating the distraction. will the old birds get used to the new trap location now that they are used to going in through the aviary and then trapping?
Would it be posable to just cover the window when you are starting the new young? Once they are trained the window could be uncovered and the problem would be solved without making changes to the loft.

Ace

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I don't quite understand the set up and the question..........do you have pictures of your loft somewhere?
Is the window the window that they use to go in and out of the aviary? I know it's nothing new.........but I'm confused somewhat........:confused:
Renee,

The trap is inside the aviary that they must enter to trap and the window is right on top of the aviary. So the birds are landing on top of the aviary and trying to get in through the window instead of going into the aviary to the trap.

Ace

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Try just covering the window with a trash bag and see if your young birds figure it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.