Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a pair that took over the top shelf and I really don't want them up there with no protection for the babies when they are hatched. Would it be an issue if when they laid both eggs to move the nest bowls to a different spot without causing any issues?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Why did you put the nest bowls up there if you didn't want them up there? I wouldn't let them start a nest there. Or block it off until they take a box maybe. If you move the bowl after the eggs are laid, they could abandon them. Can you lock them in a nest box for a couple of days and see if they will take it as theirs?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I didn't put the nest bowl up there yet but they are adamant about the top of the shelf. I'm going to take your advice and lock them in and see what happens :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I've only had success a couple of times when moving a nest ......it may work for you , but then as stated they may abandon the eggs .

good luck !

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hi all,

I have a pair that took over the top shelf and I really don't want them up there with no protection for the babies when they are hatched. Would it be an issue if when they laid both eggs to move the nest bowls to a different spot without causing any issues?
you will have to block the top shelf if you do not want them up there because they will choose a high spot to nest. or make it so they can use it saftley. moving a nest is not a good idea if you want them to hatch the eggs. pigeons do not like change and may abandon the nest as they will not see it as theirs.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, you may have to block that shelf for a while to keep them out. Is it big enough up there to put nest boxes? Once they accept another place for their nest, they may stop trying to nest there.

Have they already laid their eggs?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If they haven't laid eggs yet, keep the pair locked up in a nest box somehow. Or if you know they've already mated, lock up just the hen so she lays the eggs in a nest box. I had the same problem yesterday. Had a pair trying to lay eggs at the very top where there is little protection. I simple put the pair in a nest box, and nail a piece of plywood to the front so they couldn't get out. Within 3 hours the pair had claimed the nest box and the hens sitting in the nest bowl in the box now. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts