Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last week I took Mr. Al. to one of my three Vets for a quick exam because he had a growth under his wing that I did not catch too early-good size. She the vet is real close to my home and is at times more convenient then the other two because of having to drive long distances (I don't drive too much especially on the interstate--too crazy with cars). Mr. Al. is a special needs pigeon who hit some wires 5 or 6 years and I found him next to green dumpster trash can next a gas station laying on his side with both eyes bleeding,swollen and shut so I bring him home and start feeding him and supporting him all around--his whole side was in bad shape.He stayed in my house for 10 or 11 months recuperating and the end result was he could see real good out of the left eye but the right one was blinded. His orginal name was Alice but he became Mr. AL and king of loft and takes no crap off of any other pigeon---he is a large one--weigh watchers plan ...So today I took him to my main vet the surgeon who works on all the birds of prey and I know you racers are thrilled about that as I left him overnight I asked the vet if he had any eagles or hawks around because my Al would hear them and get scared he assured me he didnt have any at this time-just some guinee pigs and rabbitts and a cuckatoo so I left him overnight for the morning surgery.
Al is about 7 years old and has a large tumor under the left wing that is hard and necrotic (I hope I got the word right) He said it was compact and loose and not too bounded up in the tissues and he aspirated to get a sample twice. He will do surgery in the morning and if it is cancerous my directions are to put the bird down and they will call me tomorrow and I felt bad leaving Mr. Al. with his one eye looking right at me so we will know tomorrow so we all say our birdie prayers the big old thing does okay.....I will keep all my newly acquired birdie friends posted....c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
continued....The tumor is under is right wing not left..His left eye is blind.....c.hert

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi c.hert,

If it does biopsy to be Cancer, don't have him put down.

He's healthy as it is?

He may well shrug it off and the Tumor diminish and eventually be gone on it's own.

Diet, special 'Teas' ( which they like, ) can also aid.

Happy to relay recipes if you wished.

I've seen huge ( 'Walnut Sized' ) totally involved Tumors shrivel and go away where the Vet had said "Eeeesh...Hopeless...best euthenize.."

So...

It's open ended...we never know if a Bird's system can resolve it on their on, and or with some halp from us with diet...and, time alone can say.

Good luck!

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
If it does biopsy to be Cancer, don't have him put down.
I agree, I hope (and expect) that it is a benign tumour, but even if it isn't, as long as he has quality of life let him enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the imput sure appreciate and will let you all know how it turns out and I have seened how cancer works when it's malignant and it would not be good for me or the bird--Al must be about 7 or 8 years old the he had a second chance in life and it would be easier to put him down when he is asleep then to go through this process again and there are so many birds out there that could move into his spot---I have a wild one right now thats making a mess of my kitchen floor with scattering seeds all over and now its sitting on the table looking at a dish of lettuce and apple pieces and I"m saying "No" because it wants to fly to another area other than the cage" "Let me have my morning coffee bird"" Got you---..I have total trust in this Vet and for me this is the right way and if it is Beign--which it could be---we have some healing ahead and he will do just fine--depends on the extent of tissue removed---Thanks for the imput and I"m waiting it out and I am just hoping for him to fly again cause he loves it so much but if not I will have him be a bottom dweller (nest box) and have a little door made for him to go outside in the sun and take a bath with the rest and he likes the bottom anyway--food and water he can guard and keep the others from getting too fat...So we will see...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I hope that Mr. Al is doing well, and that his tumor is not cancerous - please keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: 11am : cytology is biene and they are doing surgery at 11:30 and I should know something about 12: or 12:30pm---they will call me and I will let you all know what I know at that time----It's 11:10 a.m. right now here....c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Mr. Al is doing wonderful and the doctor removed a very large intact tumor that was encapsulated and they had to take some of his muscle but he has most of his muscle and I need to call them at 3pm to make arrangements for his pick up today after I call and make sure he is still stable as he is now and this I will do and get him home tonight and thank God because tomorrow snow is coming and I don't drive in the snow so I hope he remains stable----the people think he is a problem bird because they went to get him out of the cage thinking he would back up but Al went forward and hit the young assistant in the lip as he tried to fly out and he us a very strong bird and even the vet made a comment on that so I hope he continues to be strong...c.hert

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Sounds to me like you have taken excellent care of him, that he is so strong.

I'm glad the surgery went well, I hope he perks up quickly and enjoys his ride home.

Please do update again when he is settled in.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
C.hert, sounds like you have got a tough pigeon there. Good to read that he is doing well after the op

John

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
That is wonderful news!

·
Registered
379 Posts
c.hert, I am so glad you found Mr Al when you did! He sounds like a real trooper. I am happy to hear that the surgery went well and that the tumor was benign. I know you must be relieved, to say the least. I will be hoping for a speedy recovery for Mr Al!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got him home and he looks handsome and his left wing looks normal once again--not jutting out-I have not looked on the underside but he does seem very happy to be at home especially with the Diamond Doves making noises in the birdroom where he is and soft music playing---this is what they are used to and he really looks good... The doctor suspects Necrolizing Lipoma and he needs to rest for 7 days-no flying or flapping and the sutures are absorbable and no medicine for him. The Vet already gave him pain medicine and I asked the vet to give some for me but he refused--just for the bird.. His fecal test was normal and I asked him about the color of it steel grey and it might come from the grey high calcuim grit that I have been giving him and I guess he has been eating a lot of it..???? It was called a large Mass removal...I don"t believe this bird--he is in his cage eating like he never ate before and I told him just to relax and hang out.
Cold air is coming and snow so my family is all snuggled in waiting for the storm. Thank you everyone for your support and good wishes on this day..c.hert

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
C.hert, I have been following your thread, and it's one less little ache on my mind that it all turned out well for Al, I am so happy.

Wishing you both continued happiness together,

Karyn

1 - 20 of 92 Posts