Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought three figs today and I know that one is a male. The other two is female (i think because the male courts to them.) I was wondering if they would cause problems during the mating time. Will the two females fight or will the male breed with both of them??? I only know about Ringneck Doves and nothing about pigeons but I am pretty sure that it is the same thing.

Thanks

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
he can mate with both, but you are going to have to choose just one for him, as he needs to help with the incubation of the eggs and feeding babies. If you let the hens hatch all four eggs he will most likely abandon one of the hens and they need him to feed the babies.. so your going to have to change out one of the hens eggs with fake one.. I think it would be best in the long run to find the second hen a mate of her own... now that being said.. if your not going to let any eggs hatch then it is perfectly fine for there to be a trio.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
he can mate with both, but you are going to have to choose just one for him, as he needs to help with the incubation of the eggs and feeding babies. If you let the hens hatch all four eggs he will most likely abandon one of the hens and they need him to feed the babies.. so your going to have to change out one of the hens eggs with fake one.. I think it would be best in the long run to find the second hen a mate of her own... now that being said.. if your not going to let any eggs hatch then it is perfectly fine for there to be a trio.
Gee, Spriit Wings, how many times have we heard this and had "oops" babies??!! ROFL :D

I think your suggestion of finding the "extra" hen her own mate, is the best.

Please keep us updated, VF...

ALL THE BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR BIRDS

Shi :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Gee, Spriit Wings, how many times have we heard this and had "oops" babies??!! ROFL :D

I think your suggestion of finding the "extra" hen her own mate, is the best.

Please keep us updated, VF...

ALL THE BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR BIRDS

Shi :)
hahahaha! your right! changing out eggs is not always that easy..lol.. seems simple enough..but........:p

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, at the moment, one of the hens are really and hasn't gotten some of her neck feathers and looks to small to even breed. So far I haven't seen the male mate with this one. I have only seen him court to one female.

Thanks,
ValencianFigs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts