Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been so busy catching up that I haven't updated on Poppet. This is what I had posted here about him:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/cant-figure-out-why-he-cant-fly-34343.html?highlight=poppet
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/diarrhoea-and-sneezing-35091.html?highlight=poppet

Back in April, I did take him to the avian vet, but my experience was one I wouldn't like to repeat in a hurry!

I told her about his early symptoms, his regaining the ability to fly, and his distressing, malodorous diarrhoea, and I asked for him to be tested for possible causes of it (for his sake and my beloved Piper's). I told her I'd given him Amoxycilin, Flagyl, later on a wormer (Ripercol, prescribed by herself), a few drops of ACV in water twice a week, and a little live yoghurt and cod liver oil with his seeds twice a week.
She carefully put on her gloves, checked his wings, plummage and the back of his neck (where he'd had a little lump) and pronounced him "fine and in good weight". (Didn't look at mouth, throat or vent).
Then she saw his poops in the carrier and took two steps back. 'That's no diarrhoea, that's renal failure, and no wonder with all the rubbish you've been giving him in God knows what quantities!' :eek:
She refused to do any tests, said they wouldn't help. Prescribed a good probiotic, but I had to wait for it 3 weeks, and it turned out to be second-best choice (Glicopan Pet, pigeons hate the taste of it, and I later found out the sell-by-date was June 08!) because the other one wasn't in stock.
So I went home empty-handed, considerably poorer and more than a little upset.

A man who used to breed pigeons recommended a pet supply store I hadn't come across yet, saying he asked those people for advice and it had always worked. I spoke to the man in the shop, researched all the info on symptoms I could find, held my breath and decided to medicate for Coccidiosis (I was dead scared, though).
The gamble paid off, thankfully. I also medicated Piper, whose poops were starting to get iffy too. Piper was back to normal straight away, and Poppet still had diarrhoea, but there was a huge improvement.

Sadly for Piper, as soon as Poppet felt fine he escaped and abandoned her. I hoped he might stay as they had had eggs before, but all he wanted was his freedom. He still comes over to eat, sat on the windowsill once or twice but will not come in. Once I managed to catch him, but he became so stressed and pecky I had to let him go. Poor Piper, alone again!

As for the vet, I'm not going back there. I still wonder sometimes if he got worse because of one of the meds I gave him, and I try my very best to learn and to ask for advice so as not to make stupid mistakes... But nothing justifies that verbal assault!

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
HOLY SHEEP!!! You just have got to wonder why some of these people went into veterinary medicine to begin with.:mad:
Who is she so I can MAKE SURE she doesn't get on my referral list? You can pm me if you'd rather.:)

Many times...a veterinarian that has experience with birds...not an avain vet, per say, can be a good choice.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes thats pretty rude alright, had she seen the bird before or is that the first time? were you feeding him "rubbish",? too much stuff can mess up their digestion. but I guess he is eating all kinds of stuff now that he is free flying.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
were you feeding him "rubbish
I think that the vet was referring to the ACV in the water, yoghurt and cod liver oil, maybe amoxy and flagyl which she would assume that Teresa used blindly without checking dosage and duration.

The fact that she misdiagnosed Poppet so completely shows just how much she knows about keeping a pigeon in optimum health. Her regular avian customers are probably exotics like parrots.

Cynthia

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Yep, she probably only sees domestic exotics and the like, and your patient was probably the very first pigeon she has ever seen. She must have very limited knowledge about pigeons, also given the fact that she put on gloves, or is that her routine with all birds?

That so called "rubbish" you gave the bird, probably kept his immune system going, until this last treatment.

I hope Piper isn't too lonely.

Thank you for all you do for our noble feral pigeons.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes thats pretty rude alright, had she seen the bird before or is that the first time?.
That was the first time she'd seen him, so I suppose she had to take my word for it that he was flightless when I found him.

were you feeding him "rubbish",? too much stuff can mess up their digestion. but I guess he is eating all kinds of stuff now that he is free flying.
Goodness me, no!! :eek: She was referring to the meds and supplements, and presuming I didn't know how to use them, just as Cynthia said.

I don't suppose anybody's ever taken a pigeon there but me, let alone a feral. I strongly suspect she's not an avian vet at all, just a vet who did a weekend course on exotic birds and drew the short straw.

Her behaviour was all the stranger because we knew each other -- she saved my Kali's life when I rescued the 3-week old neglected kitty, dehydrated and dying of cat flu. I'm still grateful for that, hence the fact that I didn't complain.
I think she felt threatened thinking I was trying to out-vet her...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I keep on hearing of good avian vets, but I never meet them. So far, on my scale of popularity, vets are sharing same level with the tax-mans. (low and below)

P.S. No offence to anyone in the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts