Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I too am losing birds from one of my aviaries at the rate of two or three a day and it is so sad when I cant stop it. Unfortunately previous autopsies I have paid for have never been conclusive, so it would be helpful if an expert here could recommend a suitable antibiotic to put them on.

the birds seem to look quite fat, glossy and healthy but they obviously know they are not as they usually move to a corner, they then slow down dramatically and die within a couple of hours. (At this point I would say thankfully a couple of hours as when I had pssiticosis a few years ago the birds took days to die and it broke my heart.)
they are almost paralysed by the time they die and usually when I lift them up stagnant water pours from their mouth... is that significant or usual? some of them have yellow or green slime in their mouth, but not usually before they die. no obvious signs of canker. a couple have swollen breasts, does this mean it is respitory? most have no poop signs but one had yellowish poop which I know is not good.
The other birds dont show any signs of anything wrong, so I don't know if this is catching, -- at the moment I have just added cider vinegar to the drinking water as that seems to be recommended here. I am not a great believer in Baytril. I have never saved a bird by giving him Baytril. I do have some aureomycin but not enough to keep it going for two weeks so I dont know if it is worth starting or wait for an actual diagnosis from an autopsy,
I am seriously thinking of giving the survivors away, as I don't like going through this sort of heartache!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I wouldn't give up, plus if you give them away you could infect there flock if they have birds. There are ALOT of people on here that go way beyond the call of duty when it comes to there birds, so they know what they are talking about. I think you'll be surprised by how many people can offer suggestions and can help you. So wait before making any decisions for others to respond. You came to the right place. Good luck,

I can't help you out as far as whats wrong with the birds but maybe these questions can help other members help you out.
How many birds are we talking about? How big is the loft? And where do you live maybe a member is near you and came help you out. Thanks, mindy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi I am in the Uk, London area. the birds are a selection of tumblers, rollers, Polish and Maltese. they are all really pretty birds, about 60 live in this aviary where the sickness has broken out. They have four sheds and a flight of 20ft x 10ft. I have lost 12 birds in about 5 days. They dont free fly- and there is a plastic sheeting on the roof so it is not as if ferals have introduced something . I have another smaller avairy and all those birds are fine. I also have a third aviary with feral rescues, but I hope they will be on their way soon, I think most are getting bored!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Sounds as adenovirus to me. I had several birds afected two years ago with the same symptoms, dying in couple of hours. Get Adenosan from Chevita and mix with seeds. Boost their immunity with vitamins and probiotic. Keep them separated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
From your description,

- You lose birds daily ( = acute disease).
- The autopsies are not conclusive (no postmortem lesions? = peracute disease).
- The birds look healthy but they act sick ( = dejection).
- The birds die within a couple of hours ( = sudden death)
- almost paralysed ( = lameness)
- stagnant water pours from their mouth ( = oral discharge)
- yellow or green slime in their mouth before they die ( = other complications)
- swollen breasts ( = water filled crop? "thirst/dehydration/diarrhea" or respiratory distress)
- no poop signs but one had yellowish poop which I know is not good ( = enteritis).
- The other birds dont show any signs of anything wrong ( = uninfected/ in incubation/ chronic form)

I suspect pasteurellosis (fowl cholera) complicated by another organism (maybe e.coli / aspergillosis). The disease is very contagious, it once attacked my chickens and it didn't leave me with anything except almost dead birds (without treating of course).

The survivors (carriers) are the source of the spread/re-infection, from experience birds with acute infection (septicemic) don't respond to antibiotics. for treatment, i've used a product called N.C.O a composition containing triple antibiotics which is now banned since it contains chloramphenicol (it causes serious side-effects) but antibiotics such as (enrofloxacin, flumequine, amoxicillin) should work, aureomycin (chlortetracycline) might slow the infection (stops deaths) but will not eliminate the infection. i've treated with antibiotic for a week then following that by Apple Cider Vinger + crushed garlic in water for a week then re-treated with antibiotic for a week and then continued with ACV+garlic & vitamins day by day for a month. you have to make sure that your birds drink the water w/ACV+garlic, some birds don't like the smell/taste of it. you also need to clean/disinfect everything like the cages, floor, feeders, waterers and your shoes for at least one week (while you medicate).

Now, this might not be what's wrong with your birds so diagnoses by others should be considered.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Something you could do, is catch the birds and have a good listen to their chests for any clicking sounds which would indicate lung disease. Any birds with that, isolate and keep them warm, then get them to a vet so the vet can check out a bird with an active disease process. Any birds doing unusual poops you could take to a vet for a faecal smear or just take their fresh poop sample. It would be much easier to diagnose a live bird than a pm.
It's probably best to get a diagnosis before giving an antibiotic as some are pretty harsh on the birds' systems and you might be giving something that won't help the problem.
I wouldn't give the survivors away until whatever the problem is has been sorted out, you don't want to pass on the disease to another bird-fancier's flock.
Maintain really good hygiene for the moment, the disinfectant Virkon-S will kill any bugs it contacts and you should be able to get it pretty easily from a farm store or maybe asking a pharmacy for it. Bleach and change the food and water bowls at least once daily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent thanks for all your advice guys, I have adenosan so I can start them on it straight away, although in the past they have decided not to eat it which is why I still have it! I have the disinfectant you recommend so I can do that too. maybe I have not been so scrupulous as I should .

difficult to isolate the sick birds as they dont look sick until they are just about to die , ideally they should all be isolated, saddest thing when one of a pair dies,

I have heard a chest rattle in one of the early deaths, maybe that one started it.. but where do they get it?

I have just lost some really strong older birds so whatever it is it is pretty serious.. at least with the aureomycin you can see if they are drinking as they turn green...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I mix Adenosan with grain - use 1-tablespoon olive oil to make it stick to the seeds.
You'll never know how do you got it. It may be from your shoes if you step on the poop outside aviary, it can be from insects.
Post some pictures of poop and birds. Someone may see something that you couldn't. It is difficult situation, but do not give up.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I mix Adenosan with grain - use 1-tablespoon olive oil to make it stick to the seeds.
You'll never know how do you got it. It may be from your shoes if you step on the poop outside aviary, it can be from insects.
Post some pictures of poop and birds. Someone may see something that you couldn't. It is difficult situation, but do not give up.
I think this is great advice...I thought the adenosan sounded good too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts