Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whenever i found this baby, he was about 7 days old, as soon as i picked him up, i noticed a messed up leg, lot of swelling around his joints.
well, took him home, feed him bla bla bla, and scheduled us two to go to the vet.
by the time we got to the vet, swelling was gone, scab was all that was left.
he still wasnt walking at the time cause he was young.
well anyway, vet saw him, and she told me that nothing was broken.
all she did she prescribed something against infection.
his legs were healed so i never administered any of those meds. I also had an advice from other vet's and vet tech not to admisnister any of thse meds cause it could make it worst.

SO 3-4 weeks after he had sen the doctor, he's flying now and follows me everywhere i go, except he cant stand on one foot, when he walks he limps.
when he stands he stand on one leg.
i called the doctor yesterday to complain that she should have noticed, or at least suggest that we do an x-ray.
i am so mad now, that due to her lack o interest now i have little handicaped pigeon.
he flies ok, its just that he cant put all of his weight on that one leg.
when he walks he is using the leg, but not as much, it seems like he just leaning on that leg thats hurt.
we did a free flight sesion yesterday. he looks amazing.
he is little over 40 days old, and doing good.
well he is scheduled to see the vet again for an x-ray. in the case the leg was broken and now it's healed, she said there is not much we can do, if it didnt heal the proper way
what do i do now?
how do i make his life easier.?
i seen pigeons without feet, or with missing leg and they get around pretty well.
will my baby get used to it?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I would also add some calcium to his diet, if you haven't. Anytime there is infection and/or antibiotics, calcium does not digest and absorb well.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You can use Tea tree and Calendula oil to massage in the leg. It is good for joint injuries.
Calcium and vitamins are good idea for bones. Check if he can perch on your finger. Hold him and place your finger under the leg. If he’s able to grab then nothing is broken. It is possible that he only feels pain when weight is on the leg, this will heal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts