Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this baby pigeon for a while now, I rescued him from under a bridge. he was fine and had been doing good until these past few weeks. first it seemed like he broke his leg, so I left him alone. it seemed like he was better but both times his squeak was really weak. as of today, it seems like both of his legs are broken now, and he is using his wings to move around. his squeak is almost so weak that it barely comes out. what do you think this is?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It sounds like he could have splayed leg. Splay leg can be caused by not having traction underneath their feet in the nest and/or a lack of calcium and vitamin d3.
Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Are the legs sitting under his body or sitcking sideway? If are not underneath, then it's spalyed leg. You will have to make a wrap around his legs above the ankle about 2 inches wide, depends on the size of the pigeon..Make sure the pigeon has a towel underneath him.
Please post a pic.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
if he was able to stand and walk and eat before all this and his sqeeks are getting lower sounds like he's sick to me, maybe worms, canker or something else..have his poop checked.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Do not alow him to move. Make a donut from a towel and put him in the donut whole so he can rest. And provide him Vitamins in the water he drinks with Calcium. There's a similar thread today:' Injured pigeon - found 8/10/12 in Los Angeles' You can also read it meanwhile.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Do you have tiles in the house? Or hardwood floor he was walking on? Or any slippery floor? As squeaker, most likely he slipped. It happened to my first squeker i had. In one week he got healed, because i immobilized him. His squeaks were getting lower, just as you said..so i made sure he will not move anymore; made a wrap on his legs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts