Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)Man, it is hard waiting before I can let them out and watch them fly around the loft. I am handling them every day, and they trap through like a train on a track, but I am holding back. I have had them for three weeks come this Thursday and they told me that they want to get out and look around and fly a little. I told them that they needed to wait another week and then I will think about it. I can't believe how they have matured in the past 20 days. So far they look very comfortable in their loft and they flutter around inside a lot. So now a question. When I do finally let them out for their first adventure, would you let them all out together? I have two white homers, and four rollers.

·
Registered
857 Posts
James, at first it should not be a problem, to fly them together, but eventually the homers will be much faster in the air and do much larger orientation circcles then the rollers.
If the rollers try to keep up they may get lost.
KJeith

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
In the beginning I release my birds around 4 weeks old. They go to the landing board and flutter around the backyard ground. Some of them even attempts flying to the loft roof and even house roof and they usually crash like a stalled airplane. I stopped doing that when hawks ended up loving such method. My birds are sitting duck. So now I release my birds around 6 weeks old and semi-wing strong. They can fly to the house roof where at my place it is quite high-- maybe 20 feet or second story high. It worked! The first time I tried this method my resident hawk attempted meal and they out flew it. I ended up a believer after that. So be patient unless you don't have hawk problem, the you can wait another 1 week and you can release them.

Oh yeah, don't force them to fly. Don't force them to exit the landing board. Don't scare them. Don't let them get startled. Don't flag them. Basically just let them be. They will come and go on the landing board and even trapping. During this training, my trap is fully open so the birds can come and go for flying and safety. If you are losing control, then call them in. You trained them to respond to food call right?

You will also notice that some are smarter than others. Some are stubborn. Some gives you pain. Some gives you pleasure. So basically they end up with different personality.

At this stage if a hawk comes you will end up crying! (Sorry for that warning!)

If the homers are older and takes off right away, then they could be gone. And if the rollers join them, they too would get lost. But if they are still young during their first release they usually will stay put. But it is usually not a good idea to release both breed at the same time unless they are like 4 weeks old. Those birds will stay put and they will let themselves be like buddies. Good luck! It is nerve wracking, but it is fun at the same time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Keith, good point. The birds are doing great by the way. If everyone was not aware, I got these birds from Keith C and they are beutiful birds. I love the colors of the rollers. One of them is a light color brown with white mix and she is very petite and pretty. I call her a she because she is petite, who knows could just be a small male but anyway, they are doing great.
RodSD, yep, when I do my feeding whistle and gallon milk jug rattle routine, they perk up and pay attention. They know it's chow time and they are obviousley interested.
Thank you for the information. I figure next week is their first flight day outside the loft. I can hardly wait. I have about a 1 1/2 acre back yard and I will be able to work them a little further from the loft each day, yet keep them in site of the loft without any problem. Should be fun.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Thank you for the information. I figure next week is their first flight day outside the loft. I can hardly wait. I have about a 1 1/2 acre back yard and I will be able to work them a little further from the loft each day, yet keep them in site of the loft without any problem. Should be fun.
That sounds great! Keep us posted and take pictures if you can!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.