Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. Even though I'm new here, I want to offer my condolences to all about Maggie. From what I've read she was a very special person. I know she will be greatly missed.

I also wanted to let all know, my little WeiPea is doing just great!! We had a few scary days but all is better now. He is spoilt rotten!! He does NOT want to stay in his cage anymore. After my husband stopped laughing...he agreed to pay for his PGwear. What a great invention!!!! I can't wait for it to arrive so WeiPea can travel around the house with me. So far he has not attempted to fly....all he wants is to get under my chin or sit on my shoulder and beg. He constantly tries to get me to feed him from my mouth. Grosses my husband out but I think its sweet. Not sure if this will be a bad habit or a cute parlor trick! Couple of things I think helped ... Lots of touching, all over. Years ago in school we were taught some about the Ttouch for working with horses. I applied some of this method to him and I really think it helped. The other thing I tried is what I call yogurt balls. I made a paste of yogurt, drops of honey, boiled egg yolk, wheat flour, grits and oats. Made pea sized balls and rolled in ground dog food crumbs. Since he had stopped eating, I had to pop them his mouth, but the next time he ate them readily out of my hand. Now he thinks they are treats!! I offer a few after he has eaten ALL his peas and corn. I really am not sure about this, even though he seems to love them, so any feedback would be appreciated. He's also beginning to peck at wild bird food. I'm not really sure about water. Even though a bowl is in the cage, the first thing I offer is water and he drinks up!! I think he has chosen a favorite water bowl!!! Thanks to all. Naunnie

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Great update, thanks!

Cynthia

·
Registered
193 Posts
What a wonderful update!! I would love your receipe for the yogurt balls...I bet my Petey would like those....You sound like such a loving mommy....your doing good. I think that those treats are great..I don't see anything bad in what they are made from..likely you are giving him a good combined food source. Won't it be so exciting to find out if it's a boy or girl? I am still waiting to see if Petey becomes Petra!! But for now he is my handsome boy...and believe me my husband fell off his chair with the PGwear....I still can't get Petey to wear his...it's a battle but we are working on it...I think those yogurt ball treats will help maybe???

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thats a GREAT post!! Love the receipe!!! Thats just great!

And if your Hubby laughs at you with your bird... send him on his way to my house... he'll be laughing into next year! :p I just love them to pieces.:D and The things I do for them MAKE even me laugh!

The things we don't do for our birds huh!! LOL:D

The PG Wear is GREAT all mine have them!!! and IT never FAILS when people walk into our house and just stop square in their tracks.. looking at them, like [email protected]#$!!!$%!!! LOL...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thats a GREAT post!! Love the receipe!!! Thats just great!

And if your Hubby laughs at you with your bird... send him on his way to my house... he'll be laughing into next year! :p I just love them to pieces.:D and The things I do for them MAKE even me laugh!

The things we don't do for our birds huh!! LOL:D

The PG Wear is GREAT all mine have them!!! and IT never FAILS when people walk into our house and just stop square in their tracks.. looking at them, like [email protected]#$!!!$%!!! LOL...
Not to hijack your post Naunnie, but FloridaLuv...HOW DID YOU GET THEM TO WEAR IT? Petey is a rescued feral so he isn't used to things and I am starting think he will never put that thing on!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ya'll! I'm used to my husband laughing at me. After 30 years of marriage he still thinks and tells everyone I'm weird!! God love him. He's put up with alot from me and my critters and still knows they come first...even though he really is my cutest critter!

My yogurt ball recipe is very simple, just make small batches at a time and keep in frig. I haven't really measured the amounts. I just add a pinch at a time until it looks right. Make a paste with yogurt, boiled egg yolk(1/2), few drops of honey, regular oats, wheat flour, uncooked reg. grits. Right before I'm ready to feed, I make small pea size balls and roll in finely ground dog food. Rolling them into balls gets them warm enough to feed. I used yogurt with active cultures, not the kiddie kind. I used reg. cream of wheat, instead of wheat flour, in the last ones I made for WeiPea. One of my Cockatiels is loving these too! I only keep paste for a couple of days because I don't want to risk it spoiling....then the dogs get a treat!

Hey! I just decided what my husbands getting for supper tonight!:D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats ok Tamara! When WeiPea's gets here I made need help too. Just curious does Petey have a favorite toy? Pigeons are so smart and they says they can recognize pictures...maybe Petey needs to see "a friend" wearing it! You could even take his picture with it on and post it where he can see it. Just a thought.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nothing is as important to Petey as sunflower seeds...and unless I withhold them from his food I really don't have a way of using them as a reward, but I may have to start doing that...he just really freaks out with the whole thing going over his head....that is the part he doesn't like...I tried hanging the diaper in the cage for a week so he could get used to it...another member said to do that...so he just pecks at it...what fabric did you get? I got skull and crossbones, because it seemed more manly and well when a pigeon is wearing a diaper I wanted him to feel tougher then he will look!! LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts