Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only had two birds and I was getting excited because they were building a nest and this would have been the first young birds in my loft ever but when I went out to feed them there was a break in and one bird was dead and the other had to sit there and watch the whole thing I feel so bad for her.:mad:

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm so sorry! How did something get in. What do you think it was?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Welcome to "trying" to raise pigeons.Somethnig breaks in and kill your birds or you let them out and a Hawk gets one.
Where are you located?? Maybe another flyer can help you?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Make sure your loft is predator safe. That "thing" that came will come back again.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
ohh thats bad, but dont worry, pigeons do adapt well. Just try to find out what attacked the pigeons and how it sneaked in. Once you make the loft secure again, you can bring a new mate for your bird. For the time being, make sure the pigeon is safe from another repeat attack.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I only had two birds and I was getting excited because they were building a nest and this would have been the first young birds in my loft ever but when I went out to feed them there was a break in and one bird was dead and the other had to sit there and watch the whole thing I feel so bad for her.:mad:

It can happen,...... then you learn to shore up and critter proof your loft... Im assuming it was a critter and not a human one. take the time it takes to protect your birds. sorry you found him that way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. but I screwed the trap door shut for now I think it was a cat or raccoon. I have the platform on springs so when the critter jumps on they fall on the ground but I guess that doesn't work any more. I live in Northern IL and the racer I received the first pair from gave me three more birds to settle. I found a couple of eggs I found one good egg in the nest the lone hen made and one broken egg. Do the eggs get broken alot?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Traps should always be secured when not in use. Predators work very hard at finding a way in if they can.
If the eggs are getting broken, then maybe a fight? Or maybe the birds need calcium? Just a thought.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Adequate nesting material is a must if the eggs are just rolling around and doesn't have a soft nesting material to cushion them it will break or crack. Jay3 is right you need to provide a ways for your birds to get calcium. Oyster shell is great if you don't have any try to see if you can find calcium gluconate, 1 tsp to a gallon should work while the eggs are being layed and once the eggs hatch and the young are developing. You should look at Siegel, Foys, JEDDS this are pigeon supply store that carry any item you will need to keep your birds healthy.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
For good eggs--give the hen 1/2 calcium gluconate table ever day until she lays. The eggs will be so shiney you will know they are fertile without having to candle them.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Adequate nesting material is a must if the eggs are just rolling around and doesn't have a soft nesting material to cushion them it will break or crack. Jay3 is right you need to provide a ways for your birds to get calcium. Oyster shell is great if you don't have any try to see if you can find calcium gluconate, 1 tsp to a gallon should work while the eggs are being layed and once the eggs hatch and the young are developing. You should look at Siegel, Foys, JEDDS this are pigeon supply store that carry any item you will need to keep your birds healthy.
You're right. I didn't think of that as being a cause, but it's true that they need adequate nesting material too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have oyster grit and the birds have nesting material but the new birds only been in there for two days but didn't build a nest

G

·
I have oyster grit and the birds have nesting material but the new birds only been in there for two days but didn't build a nest
i think they just need to settle in a bit more and figure out whos going to be in what nest boxes then you shouldnt have to worry about the broken eggs anymore since they should be layed in the nest boxes or nestbowls by then ;)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
they usually sit them when they lay the second, but young birds can be a bit confused, so just give it time and keep the critters out, as it sounds like you have done and all will be well.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
there is a hen sitting on the eggs. do I need to do any thing?
she needs a mate to feed and raise them. so it depends on how old the eggs are... if you want them to hatch then I would hand feed them with the hen, you may have to take over all together. so it is up to you to throw the eggs out or not... it's your right to choose.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, she probably won't raise them by herself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts