Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Everyone!

This is my first day here and I wanted to say hello.

I raised Racing Pigeons and Fantails (briefly) as a teen,
and that hobby gave me some of my happiest childhood
memories. I miss them and think perhaps I will take up
the hobby again when I am older (though I am allergic
to feathers and have read a bit about bird dander
causing lung disease - a friend had spots on his lungs
from pet birds....any thoughts on that?).

A friend of mine, who knew I loved birds and
pigeons, sent me a copy of a post from this site
about "gay pigeons," because we are both gay and
he thought I would get a kick out of it.

That brings me to what pleased and offended me,
as I mentioned in the title of my post. In searching
for the thread (never found it), I came across a thread
which began with a boy (I will assume only a boy would
say "yuck, how gross is that?" about gay pigeons) who was
worried about two of his rollers being gay.

Yes, his comment offended me:mad:....and I wondered if this
would not be a very welcoming site for me.....but the response
from so many of you chastising him for his homophobic views
made me realize I would feel quite welcome here, after all.:D

In the reply to the post my friend sent me about someone
worried his two males who paired up and nested together
were gay, someone assumed there were no hens around and
urged him to get some mates for the two males, while remarking
that he had two hens who paired up and they could not be
re-paired with males until he separated them. Evidently, "gay"
pigeons mate for life as well?

I thought that: (1) unless it was a breeding issue (which I
understand is important), why separate them? Let them be
happy together....and (2) why assume it was because there
were no hens around? Gay unions and sex may not be common
in nature, other than with humans, but it is not unheard of,
so what's the big deal?

I LOVE debate...if it is respectful....and I was DYING to comment
in his thread, but I see it was closed. So, all of you were spared
my 16 paragraph reply I had was ready to type.:D

Anyway....I love birds, love nature, love pigeons, and I am gay!
Viva La Difference!

I would love to hear from any of you...I see we have a private
message feature, yes? Are we allowed to give out email
addresses or MySpace info here? I'll share my email address
with anyone who writes me (please, no sermons about my
sexuality...I grew up in a Christian family - grandfather was
a minister - and I have done my own praying and searching,
thank you...and made my peace LONG ago) a private message.

I do have a little soap box/pet peeve about feral cats vs. NATIVE
bird species and the decimation the former is doing to the latter.
Read my blog on my MySpace if you are interested:
www.myspace.com/glennbird It isn't really relevant to
domesticated/pet/hobby birds, but bird lovers in general
might find it interesting. I won't burden my new friends
here with.....yet.;)

Well, I guess you can tell I am a talker. I hope I have not
violated any board rules against discussing certain topics, and
I hope I have not offended anyone. I look forward
to posting with all of you, even those with different views.

Love and peace,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

Welcome here to anyone with an interest in pigeons.

As far as this board is concerned, any members sexuality is their own business and definitely not up for discussion (forum rules = no politics, sex or religion) so anyone who feels like 'sermonizing' at you will soon wonder where their post disappeared to.

It is certainly not uncommon for hens to pair up, though I haven't personally come across male pigeons doing so. We have some 'triangles' in our aviary - one male and two hens, one hen with two competing (but evidently peacefully) males.

Our observations suggest that pigeons do not necessarily recognize the gender of a newcomer to the gang innately. It seems rather to be by one bird's response to another who is testing the new one out - our males will do the macho stuff and seem to then earmark the other as male or female by the reaction. Some of the male pigeons are really quite shy and passive, at least initially, and occasionally a hen will fool us for quite a while by being quite aggressive or more vocal than one might expect. After all, pigeons are very individual, and have definite personalities. It doesn't surprise me when one or two of ours get pretty confused :)

As to the allergic reaction, that is definitely to be considered seriously. Wearing a face mask when cleaning out birds is advisable and anyone who suspects a bad reaction to feathers or the various particles shed by birds (cage bird owners too, not just p[igeon people) needs to montor that carefully.

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, John....one more question...

John,

Thanks for the quick reply and supportive words and welcome.

I have already run my mouth in two more rambling new threads.
I better slow down before I get a rep for diarrhea of the mouth.;)

Have you heard of this lung disease from breathing too much
bird dander? My friend apparently got it from his pet, caged
birds.

I would love to raise pigeons again some day, and the allergy
to feathers was not a problem much as the birds and loft
were outside, not in my home. Also, I could wear a mask
if asthma was a problem. However, if there is a danger of
lung disease, THAT would be another matter. I wish I knew
the name of the disease, but I don't.

Love/peace,
Glenn

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
John,

Thanks for the quick reply and supportive words and welcome.

I have already run my mouth in two more rambling new threads.
I better slow down before I get a rep for diarrhea of the mouth.;)

Have you heard of this lung disease from breathing too much
bird dander?
My friend apparently got it from his pet, caged
birds.

I would love to raise pigeons again some day, and the allergy
to feathers was not a problem much as the birds and loft
were outside, not in my home. Also, I could wear a mask
if asthma was a problem. However, if there is a danger of
lung disease, THAT would be another matter. I wish I knew
the name of the disease, but I don't.

Love/peace,
Glenn
Hi Glenn,
Welcome to Pigeon Talk.

Here is a link to some information explaining Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis, which is the lung disease you are referring to.
I hope this is helpful. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersensitivity_pneumonitis

Cindy

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Glenn and welcome. You seem respectful and thoughtful which goes to the top of my list in what I look for in folks AND you've already asked one question that led to me being educated so thank you and again, welcom to Pigeon talk. It's my first go round with pigeons and I've learned a bunch and made a few friends here in a short period of time. Enjoy the board! Keystonepaul

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Hi Glen, and welcome ! By all means....you are certainly welcome here, this is a great site with a lotta great folks...and yes...you will have many an opportunity for "Sopaboxes" in the future (this coming from me...the king of Soapboxes) ;)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Glenn,

Some people become sensitised to pigeon protein, some don't. They don't know what causes this sensitisation.

This is an excellent site for information, the medical research team also provides free testing of blood worldwide, so anyone that is worried can determine whether they are developing sensitisation and catch it early.

http://www.pigeon-lung.co.uk/

Cynthia

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Glen,
Welcome. I too raised homing pigeons as a kid and enjoyed it. I have started again in retirement and have been at it a little over a year. I felt I should respond to some of the issues you brought up. I developed a cough in the Spring - after I had built my second coop and had raised a few birds and started training them. I clean both coops every day, and carry the birds in the traditional basket for release inside my van. The cough got worse and worse and I got some very good advice here to wear a mask while cleaning the coops - and to consider using something on the floor to reduce the need for cleaning and scraping every day. I have now lost the cough. I also was finally convinced by more than one person to see a doctor. There is indeed a desease associated with birds. I have it to a slight degree. It is sometimes referred to as "pigeon fanciers lung" or pigeon breeder's lung". The doctor had blood tests preformed and was able to detect that I have been exposed to Pigeon, Parrot, Canary, and Cockatiel fecal matter. I was impressed because I have two parrots, a canary and a monk parakeet(feed cocketiel food). I intend to continue with the pigeons because I enjoy them so much - but your note reminded me that I had decided that I would get a respirator to replace the masks I have been using. I will do that this week. The doctor also measured my lung capacity and I am in the normal range. I have another appointment with him next month to insure that it stays that way.
The pigeons I got were rescued from the estates of two flyers who had died - one in NH and one in Maine. They are homing pigeons and most were first year birds - I suspect that the breeders were taken by someone else. When the birds paired up, I was surprised to see two males together very early on. They stayed together all year and set up house in a nesting box but obviously did not produce any youngsters. I split them up about two weeks ago, and will try to pair them up with hens in the spring. I'll probably keep them in separate coops and attempt to pair them up with the hens in nesting boxes. I'd sure like to get babies from them.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hey, Everyone!

In the reply to the post my friend sent me about someone
worried his two males who paired up and nested together
were gay, someone assumed there were no hens around and
urged him to get some mates for the two males, while remarking
that he had two hens who paired up and they could not be
re-paired with males until he separated them. Evidently, "gay"
pigeons mate for life as well?

Love and peace,
Glenn
Glenn, welcome to PT. I personally won't even comment on some of the issues you brought up. You're a human being and seem to be a kind one, so that's enough for me.
As far as the above paragraph. Two hens mating up for life is simply not true. My hens, when separated from their mates during the year, usually about March to November, mate up with each other all the time. I have absolutely no problem getting them paired up with thier cock bird for breeding season. I can't explain it, but I truly believe that they KNOW the difference in whether the object of thier affection at that moment is a hen or cock. And far as I can tell, they will take their male partner every time over the female partner. I know they don't think in our human terms but I truly believe they know the difference and the choice they make is simply to reproduce, because let's face it......that's what pigeons and animals in general I guess do best and in thier mind, in their own way, that's why they are on earth to begin with.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Hello Glenn,

I hope that you can raise pigeons again. I know there are fanciers who have developed ways to work with their birds, despite having allergies etc. to the bloom.

As to the gay pigeon issue, I have several same sex couples. I have two pairs of hens who have paired up and show no interest in males. I had another hen, years ago, one of whom mated with a cock bird long enough to get fertile eggs, but then stayed with
her mate, another hen. They hatched and raised the babies together. I have a pair of gay cocks. It is not because of any lack of choice. I have several unattached hens in the loft. They are nest mates and have never shown any interest in any hens ever. They go through the whole mating ritual and if I give them wooden eggs, will sit them as do any other pair. Since I don't want to breed from any of these birds, I let them choose their mates and respect their choices.

Glad to have you here on PT.

Margaret

G

·
I agree with Renee , if theres equal males to females they normally pair in a male female way ..the only time I have ever seen otherwise is when one sex out numbers the other ;)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
My first ringneck male doves, Lance and Julian, were a couple. They both came from the pet store with doves of both sexes in the cage, and came to my house where there were female doves. No interest. They made their own nest and kept to themselves and even raised a pair of babies I gave them from another pair. They took turns, er, playing the male, and took turns laying in the day time/night time cycle, it got a little confusing for them I'm sure, but they figured it out. :p

Now we're into threesomes apparently; I have a male/2 females triangle, and a female/2 males triangle in the other loft. :rolleyes: Both lofts have unattached males and females.

And as for mating for life, of course we have Leonardo, who is on his fourth or fifth wife. Every once in awhile he decides it's time for a new lady. He's such a pig. :eek::cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.