Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple questions... I just got these birds about a week and a half ago, both born in the first week of May. The breeder told me what sex he believes them to be, but as I understand it, sometimes that's hard to tell especially in young birds.

-- Rada (brown "hen") bows and coos sometimes to Curu (white "cock") and spins around, especially after having been separated for a bit. She will also do a "shrugging" or wobbling sort of motion with one wing to him sometimes. Usually only for a few seconds at a time, because Curu seems to have no idea how to respond to either of these and just wanders away. However, when Curu has decided to claim part of a perch, he is definitely the boss and Rada kowtows to him by bowing and cooing too if she gets near and he is making a grumpy face. Do these behaviors seem to confirm or deny their guessed sexes?

-- What color is Rada, technically? I've included some pictures that hopefully show her markings off. She is various shades of brown with some white and a very small amount of pinkish iridescence on her breast. However, her wing shields are not solid colored, but are sort of gray and powder-brown mixed. I believe her eyes would be called "pearl eyes"? She's a homer/fantail mutt so she's not winning any competitions anywhere, but it would be interesting for me to know what she would be described as if she did :).

-- Curu is almost all white with just a schmear of dark dutch-cocoa brown on his neck, the same color as Rada's neck. He has very dark eyes. From reading about pigeon genetics, I gather that brown is the least dominant color... would it be safe to assume that Curu might be genetically brown as well under all his white? And if so, would I expect that their offspring would also be brown and white?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I love the fantail mix! One of my first pigeons was one like that.

They don't mature until they are 5 to 6 months of age so you will have to wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love the fantail mix! One of my first pigeons was one like that.

They don't mature until they are 5 to 6 months of age so you will have to wait and see what happens.
Thanks! She's definitely a character :p

I'm excited to see them grow up :). They took their first bath together yesterday... next time I'll have to give them a bigger dish! Watch them here!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Beautiful birds!
The brown one could be a male, not sure about the white one.

The white one could be carrying ash red.
They ARE beautiful. i think both are males. Both have that round head charteristic of males...both have that full neck, charteristic of males and the long beaks....

hens have a flat head, thin neck and small beaks.

i would gess both are cooing and struting .....hens don't do that!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They ARE beautiful. i think both are males. Both have that round head charteristic of males...both have that full neck, charteristic of males and the long beaks....

hens have a flat head, thin neck and small beaks.

i would gess both are cooing and struting .....hens don't do that!
Interesting! So two votes toward Rada being male then!

Curu actually isn't strutting at all, and he only coos when he doesn't want to get picked up or Rada is too close to "his" perch. He needs a lot more "personal space" than my other goober, but Rada always kowtows to him.

If they are both male, are they likely to start fighting as they mature? Or since they are together as "kids", will they put up with each other for a while?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Both males can pair up too since they're gonna be together from young age. If they don't pair up they won't fight later on, most probably. They will divide the territory with invisible boundaries and won't intrude into one another's.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Haven't read the entire thread yet, but loved the birds :) esp Rada, amazing :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both males can pair up too since they're gonna be together from young age. If they don't pair up they won't fight later on, most probably. They will divide the territory with invisible boundaries and won't intrude into one another's.
That's fine too :). I'll just keep an eye on them then! They live indoors in a cage now... if they do wind up fussing about territory, then I think that will be a great excuse to the husband for why I "need" a real loft in the spring ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haven't read the entire thread yet, but loved the birds :) esp Rada, amazing :)
Thank you! He/she was the breeder's favorite too--such a looker. Really bold but gentle personality too, always the first to explore something new, doesn't get spooked by anything, doesn't mind being handled. Tends to be so nosy that s/he runs into stuff while spying on other things though :D

·
Registered
899 Posts
beautiful birds....seems like rada is female and curu is a male....but they will show their gender once they are around 4 months old....males usually coo around females and females will get attracted toward coo of males...good luck :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
beautiful birds....seems like rada is female and curu is a male....but they will show their gender once they are around 4 months old....males usually coo around females and females with get attracted toward coo of males...good luck :)
Thank you! Rada is doing a lot of cooing but Curu is much quieter. They both turn four months old in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your responses, everyone :).

I've never owned birds before and these guys are so fun to watch just doing "pigeon stuff". I usually let them out of the cage at least an hour per day to eat their dinner and wander around in the sunroom they live in. Yesterday they felt bold enough to start fussing at the seam between the door and the jam--looking to explore more already, guys??

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
beautiful set up...in this pics rada seems like a male and curu like a female...LOL hard to say

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ha!! I finally caught the them "talking" on video! This is pretty much what they do... Rada bows, coos, and spins... Curu puffs the neck out a bit and coos differently in response but pecks Rada away eventually.

Can someone translate from pij to English? :p Clips HERE!

·
Registered
899 Posts
seems like both are males....and dont want to pair up. so they are trying to peck each other....rada is obviously a male, if curu was a female he would dance around rada and then preen his head, when rada was cooing

1 - 20 of 24 Posts