Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. yesterday was my first race. We raced Yearling's at a 100 miles. I only had 25 birds left after the hawks these past months. I was happy to get 20 of my 25 birds home yesterday hoping the others will back today. i did not do great i only had 3 of the birds in the first race make it back on time and all most of the birds in the second race made it back on time. The third race only 2. The only race i seen my name was the second race in 13th and a few more down low. the second race i had put only hens in I don't know if that made a difference. Hope i do better this coming weekend. Southwing

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hello. yesterday was my first race. We raced Yearling's at a 100 miles. I only had 25 birds left after the hawks these past months. I was happy to get 20 of my 25 birds home yesterday hoping the others will back today. i did not do great i only had 3 of the birds in the first race make it back on time and all most of the birds in the second race made it back on time. The third race only 2. The only race i seen my name was the second race in 13th and a few more down low. the second race i had put only hens in I don't know if that made a difference. Hope i do better this coming weekend. Southwing
You're RACING already? Who do you fly with? Man, that's early. So, you raced these as yearlings in their first race. No YB races last year? 20 of 25 on the day is pretty darn good if you ask me. Congratulations.
The first race for a bird, YB OR yearling is probably the hardest one they'll fly.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The club was down on members last year so the did not race YB, they decided to race 2008 yearling's with old birds to save money on gas. We did a A,B yearling race and then one old bird race. I live in SC

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good morning Southwing! It sounds exciting, I have no clue what is involved in racing. I would love to come by and see your race team! By the way what vet do you use around here? I had a few days last week that Mildred seemed to be under the weather. She is eating seeds again, but I went ahead and put antiboitics with vitimins & minerals in her water. I just ordered some things over the internet for her, but still haven't gotten any pigeon grit. Where do you get your grit from? I hope you get the rest of your birds back. The hawks are all over Jedburg area... in my backyard in fact.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Carolina bird I had to two more birds come in so i am back up to 22, We will have to set up a time for you to come over. I get my feed and grit at the 17A feed store. Just go over I 26 from Summerville about 3 miles down on the left they have red checkered flags out front. Go in and tell them you want pigeon grit. I do not use a vet I have not had to yet.

Southwing

·
Registered
41 Posts
Glad to hear they are still making their way back home! I know exactly where you are talking about- the feed store - in fact that is where hubby got the pigeon crumbs. I believe it was from a larger busted bag. It's green crunchy crumbs, labled (hand written) pigeon crumbs. Hubby is off Monday so he will go by and get some pigeon grit pronto. I ordered today - on-line some pigeon wormer, medication for cankers, and high vitimin pigeon mix. I figured I had better have some on hand with all the discussions I have read. By the way are you from around here?

·
Registered
5,367 Posts

Instead of a :( face, you ought to have a :) face ! Don't know your level of experience, but for many new fanciers, just getting the birds home can be a major accomblishment !!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
My first race way back in 1983,I sent a few birds...I clocked my 1st bird at about 1pm...
I was jumping up and down,and couldn`t control my happiness...I drove 1hr to the club to report..Nobody was there..Wow,I must of beat the heck out of these guys in my first race,I thought....Not really !!! They all clocked in around 11am,went to the club,and left before I got there...What a bummer !!!....I didn`t lose any pigeons,so it was a great day anyway for me...Since I only had 14 YB pigeons to race....I still get a big laugh telling this story...I really thought I beat those guys !! hahahahaha!!!......Alamo

·
Registered
260 Posts
Congratulation on your firs race Southwing. 22 out of 25 birds is realy a good thing. our race starts on march 1st and I'm hoping if not all atleast some of my birds make it home. I would just be happy to see them come home even they don't win the race.

I did my last training toss on 125 air miles saturday morning with 18 birds and I got 8 birds home before noon and 5 birds home sunday before noontime. today a got one bird that came home at 10:00 am. so I am still missing 4 more birds.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks i am happy that the birds have come home, I am just very competitive and would have liked to be little closer to the top. I did get another one home today. I think I will take them out about 20 miles if the weather is nice tomorrow just so that they do not get stiff.

What do other racers like to give birds after they have come home from a race?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Southwing,keep your birds IN the loft on Monday`s.....Loft fly on Tuesday`s....Train on Wed...Thur...Fri....(WEATHER PEMITTING)...Don`t overtrain...When you loft fly,if the birds are very spunky,it`s OK to train the next day...If they seem sluggish,rest them...
When I get my birds in from the race,I only give them "LIGHT" feed...Just like humans,give them time to relax,drink,and get calmed down from the race..When most of the birds are in,you can give them whatever you feed them,but don`t give them to much...Later on in the day,you can feed them a little more...Alamo
PS: I feed my OB`s in their nest box...I can give as much as I want to every pair of birds..So that I don`t under feed,or over feed any pigeons...Get little crock pots,and get them used to eating in their box....Alamo

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
My first race way back in 1983,I sent a few birds...I clocked my 1st bird at about 1pm...
I was jumping up and down,and couldn`t control my happiness...I drove 1hr to the club to report..Nobody was there..Wow,I must of beat the heck out of these guys in my first race,I thought....Not really !!! They all clocked in around 11am,went to the club,and left before I got there...What a bummer !!!....I didn`t lose any pigeons,so it was a great day anyway for me...Since I only had 14 YB pigeons to race....I still get a big laugh telling this story...I really thought I beat those guys !! hahahahaha!!!......Alamo
LOL........that's funny. I guess we all remember our very first race........the morning of my first one, I'm out in the back yard, with my chair and coffee at 9:00 AM. My husband says "Renee!! The birds won't even be here until at LEAST 11:00"........I didn't care. I WAS NOT going to miss my first bird coming home. And......I didn't, even though it was almost 4:00 PM before the first one showed up.......LOL.....I didn't have any illusions about winning the race............:rolleyes:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Alamo for the info is not always easy getting info out of other pigeon racers. I just do not understand what the winners did that their birds out flew mine. I have pigeons from the same people that won. They gave me young to start with.

Southwing

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Thanks Alamo for the info is not always easy getting info out of other pigeon racers. I just do not understand what the winners did that their birds out flew mine. I have pigeons from the same people that won. They gave me young to start with.

Southwing
Gee...if local racing were only about having good birds, it would be easy to win, simply buy better birds. The management and handling skills, may be more then 50% of winning a race, maybe much more.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
SmithFamily hit it on the head..You can BUY a All-American`s pigeons,but you can`t buy his methods etc..You need a little help from someone in your club,who does not FEAR you beating him on Sunday`s....He can show you alot..I had one of these great men..His name was Joe Imperatore,from Cannonsburg,Pa....He taught me how to feel when a pigeon is in condition,and how to get it to that point..My dad,a pigeon flyer,was 450 miles away...He could only tell me things on the phone..There`s nothing better then someone standing right next to you,with a pigeon in hand,showing you what to look for...Hope you can find a Joe Imperatore in your club....Because men like that, HELP new racing pigeon flyers stay in the hobby...They are not afraid to help a new guy out...If nobody will not help you,you will have no problem beating these type of guys,when you DO LEARN THE ROPES of this hobby.....Good Luck !!!.....Alamo

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.