Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I found a new born pigeon, like just about 5 days old, out of the pigeon coop.

We need some advice in how to care for it and what to feed it.
We really don't want it to die because we've tried saving some other ones and they died because we weren't ready. :(

So please, HELP US.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am new to this board, because I too am raising a baby. I am feeding Kaytee baby formula. Keep the baby warm, it can't digest food if it's cold, feed about every two hours (not at night though). I hope others chime in here that know more than I do! Good luck!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
My friend and I found a new born pigeon, like just about 5 days old, out of the pigeon coop.

We really don't want it to die because we've tried saving some other ones and they died because we weren't ready. :(

So please, HELP US.
A five day old baby pigeon does not get out of a pigeon coup on it's own. Is the pigeon coop yours? A neighbors? A friends? Why can't the baby be put back in the coop? How many have you tried to save and WHY????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's my pigeon coop, and we tried putting it back by the pigeons and they ignored it for hours, so we put it in an incubator..

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Just put the baby back in the nest with its sibling. They can be out of the nest (for whatever reason) for several hours, even days, and the parents will accept them back with no problems. I've only had one exception to that rule. It is extremely difficult to raise a healthy, fully-developed baby by hand, even to those of us who do it regularly. Hand-raised babies turn into adults that are often smaller than normal, and have less of a good start because they don't have their parents' "pigeon milk" which is full of essential nutrients. Hand-raised babies often die because of various reasons that wouldn't occur if they are raised by their parents. It is just very hard to do correctly, even with experience, trust me, I know. ;) Please continue enjoying these babies while they are with their parents.

·
Registered
499 Posts
5 day old sqwab

So please, HELP US.
yes, use the kaytee formula baby bird formula with omega,-reading directions is a must,.-..feel the crop,every so often as this is your best indicator as to when to feed-use an eye dropper-(infant medicine dropper)remember he does have to breathe as you feed,..some parents are oddly enough have nothing to do with the baby after humans touch it,..i have a sample over 2 months old on my shoulder and best buddy for life,,and he was one day old,..sincerely james waller

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I agree with Renee 100%, try to put the baby back with his parents first...and then take over if they do not care for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts