Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a month ago a baby dove (laughing dove) and i took care of it. i fed him baby food that my vet told me, and gradually made it more think and insert it some small grains like millets. he really grew up and he looks like an adult now, and flies great, but he is having trouble with picking the grains. i give them to him in my hand and he doesnt seem to notice them at first, and then he tries to pick them with his beak and most of the time they just fall and he gives up. he wants to be released from the cage but i dont know if he will survive if he doesnt know how to eat without his milk formula. how to teach him how to eat on his own? and what about water?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
He is learning, give him a croc of the seeds and peck them with your fingers , before you hand feed him. pop a few in the back of this throat to swallow and peck at the seed again with your fingers, watching helps teach as his parents would of done. he will come around. hand fed doves tend to wean a bit later than in the wild. also feeding by putting in back of the troat to swallow can get defrosted corn or peas in him to transfer to the seeds and it gives hydration. dipping his beak in a small dish of water can help him know to suck the water..he will at some point, just dip the beak twice a day. careful not to go over the nostrils.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
He is learning, give him a croc of the seeds and peck them with your fingers , before you hand feed him. pop a few in the back of this throat to swallow and peck at the seed again with your fingers, watching helps teach as his parents would of done. he will come around. hand fed doves tend to wean a bit later than in the wild. also feeding by putting in back of the troat to swallow can get defrosted corn or peas in him to transfer to the seeds and it gives hydration. dipping his beak in a small dish of water can help him know to suck the water..he will at some point, just dip the beak twice a day. careful not to go over the nostrils.
THIS ^^^ AND always let him practice (eating out of a small deep spill proof dish and move seeds around with your finger) when he is hungry, just before you feed him. Hunger will help motivate him.

Putting seeds on the tongue allows him to learn the feel of the seed and its practicing to use the muscle in his tongue that draws the seed back for swallowing, which helps him learn to eat fast and furiously.

Once practice is over and if he still hasn't eaten enough, then supplement, but leave the seed and water dish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts