Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kalani is pecking the wall and eating the dry wall. I cover it up so she can't get to it and she just finds another spot to peck at. I give her grit with calcium and oyster shell. She seems to be eating and drinking enough. What's up.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been giving them grit with calcium and oyster shell. Maybe she is not eating enough, but I don't know how to make her eat more. Is the drywall toxic (not that want my walls pecked apart), I don't want her to get sick.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I don't know. The calcium sulfate (gypsum) is contained in some pigeon grit. The only worry I have is the adhesive on those cardboard paper that envelops the gypsum mineral. When in doubt, just feed them more grit and let them stay away from the drywall. Fanciers give pigeon grit almost 24 hours a day. Unfortunately they can absorb moisture so they should be thrown out and replenish with new ones.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My pigeon has grit always available, but I have rarely seen her eat any of it. How do you give them grit "24 hours a day"?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just leave the grit in the nest box, but if your pigeons are not having it....then you might have to change it on a regular interval.
Coming back to eating from the dry wall, its quite common over here when there is no availability of grit. I still remember.....when I first started with pigeons (we did not have grit sold in pet shops then), I did observe a large scrapping on the wall, wherein most of the out layer was eaten out and thats when I figured to make the grit myself.
Scrapping of the wall should stop after they have plenty of grit.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmmm... I keep a bowl about 3 inches round filled with about an inch of grit all day everyday. I change it about every two to three days, so maybe I need to do that more often. They do eat the grit but in two to three days they do not eat more than about half of that (off course it's hard to tell how much they toss out onto the floor and into their feed, they are very messy eaters!) between the two of them. I am using the Hartz brand grit. Could the brand of grit be a problem. It's just so odd that Kiko does not peck the wall and I swear Kalani seems to be eating more of the grit than Kiko.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
get some mineral grit the bird probably needs the different minerals. Plus you can get water vitimans Then this should stop.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You might want to supplement with some fresh vegies to help meet the nutritonal needs, as Robert mentioned.

What are your birds eating, and do they have access to the outdoors?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's what they eat and drink:

Purified water with Premium (that's the brand) high potency vitamins(A,D3Thiamine, Riboflavin, B6, Niacin, d-Pantothenic Acid and Choline

Food: (mix of seeds and nuts, dried fruits and veggies)
Kaytee Fruit and Veggie: Safflowers, Raisins, Sunflowers, Oat Groats, Pumkin Seed, Green split peas, Buckwheat, Rice, Pearled Barley, Soy Nuts, Calcium Carbonate, Brwers dried yeast, wheat middlings, wheat germ meal, Dried: Bananas, Carrots, Alfalfa Meal, Papaya, Sweet Potatoe, Peppers, Parsley, Apples, Dates, Prunes, Peaches, Cherries, Mango, Apricots, plus 27 vitamins/minerals

Treats: Peanuts, popping corn, pine nuts

Grit: Hartz Gravel'n Grit with Calcium Carbonate

It's hard to tell which bird is eating what of the above ingredients, so I suppose she might be picking out only her favorites and not getting all she need. But she eats a lot more than him. I pour new in as each comes off eggs so I know they have everything. She sits on the eggs for 20 hours at a time, maybe that is causing something?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
she must just like it... that bad kalani..lol.. just my opinion.. I think they would do better on a diet just for pigeons.. usually they do not eat all the dried fruit..

you can get pigeon supplies online.. there is alot of calcium suppliment out there...one I use is calcium syrup you put in the water...and they have the mineral pick stones too..which sounds like something she may like..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
she must just like it... that bad kalani..lol.. just my opinion.. I think they would do better on a diet just for pigeons.. usually they do not eat all the dried fruit..

you can get pigeon supplies online.. there is alot of calcium suppliment out there...one I use is calcium syrup you put in the water...and they have the mineral pick stones too..which sounds like something she may like..
Are those the white oval stones. Should I put it in her nest or where she eats? Can I mix the calcium syrup with the vitamin supplement I am currently using in the same water bowl?

Both are eating my orchid plant leaves and for a while I had a basil plant that they picked to death. That turned their poop neon green so after it was gone I just did not replace it. I have chopped up different green veggies before and they don't seem too interested. I guess I can get another basil plant.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Are those the white oval stones. Should I put it in her nest or where she eats? Can I mix the calcium syrup with the vitamin supplement I am currently using in the same water bowl?

Both are eating my orchid plant leaves and for a while I had a basil plant that they picked to death. That turned their poop neon green so after it was gone I just did not replace it. I have chopped up different green veggies before and they don't seem too interested. I guess I can get another basil plant.
the vitamins should be given only a few times a week and then fresh water and then add the syrup on the other days.. for just the day..here are a few thing they sell at foys.
http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/699.html

http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/5031-5037.html

http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/56.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts